Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2009, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dual exhaust

I have a 1989 Chevy Suburban 4x4 - TBI. I'm thinking about putting on dual exhaust with an X pipe or cross over pipe and dual cat converters.

What do I do with the OXY sensor??? Put it in the X or crossover?? One on each side but how to I hook that up?

Is it work the Hassel?????

Thanks for any input

LBM
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by motovate
I have a 1989 Chevy Suburban 4x4 - TBI. I'm thinking about putting on dual exhaust with an X pipe or cross over pipe and dual cat converters.

What do I do with the OXY sensor??? Put it in the X or crossover?? One on each side but how to I hook that up?

Is it work the Hassel?????

Thanks for any input

LBM
did your sub come with dual cats? if it didn't i would not try to restrict the system anymore then you have to..you can also get some legal headers thet have all the 0s sensor on the pipe,that along with a nice set of duals(i ran 3 inch pipe with excellent results)you will not be dissapointed..are you installing duals for the performance or the sound?or both
Old August 18th, 2009, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Question

No - it is single exhaust - 1 cat and one muffler, 1 OXY sensor after "Y" pipe.

I was thinking more in the way of more power and a different tone. I've seen where there are now available different performance cat converters that flow better the the older style.

Just am not sure how having 1 OXY sensor on one side will work or if it will make a difference.

Putting headers on and running them through the stock single exhaust seems like too much restriction??
Old August 18th, 2009, 3:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by motovate
No - it is single exhaust - 1 cat and one muffler, 1 OXY sensor after "Y" pipe.

I was thinking more in the way of more power and a different tone. I've seen where there are now available different performance cat converters that flow better the the older style.

Just am not sure how having 1 OXY sensor on one side will work or if it will make a difference.

Putting headers on and running them through the stock single exhaust seems like too much restriction??
as for converters there are some good ones with great flow but you will pay for the right one...there is only one sensor now, and with it being on one side makes no difference...running headers with new 3 inch pipe properly bent(mandrel bent)will make a huge difference.as for sound i run flomaster(noisy)but that's just me...there are a host of muffler companies to suit your sound& performance needs....when i had my 3 inch system installed from the headres back with high flow cat and flows it was around $600....that 4 years ago...
Old August 18th, 2009, 4:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I cut my cat off I put my Oxygen sensor on my driver side header. It is actually better that way because it gets more heat up there.
Old August 18th, 2009, 4:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
When I cut my cat off I put my Oxygen sensor on my driver side header. It is actually better that way because it gets more heat up there.

hey suzuki did you have to do any programming once you deleted the cat...?did any codes get thrown?
Old August 18th, 2009, 4:35 PM
Super Moderator

No codes no nothing. I do have a Hypertech chip in it but that was in there before I cut the cat out. All's I did was relocate my 02 sensor.
Old August 18th, 2009, 4:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
No codes no nothing. I do have a Hypertech chip in it but that was in there before I cut the cat out. All's I did was relocate my 02 sensor.

thanks suzuki good info
Old August 18th, 2009, 5:11 PM
Super Moderator

No prob. man!
Old August 19th, 2009, 2:24 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks - just want to make sure I'm tracking - you went to headers and hooked them into a single 3" system with a hi perf cat and muffler using 1 oxy sensor and every thing worked good - right ????? Instead of going to a dual pipe system when you put on the headers. Seems simpler

Quick Reply: Dual exhaust