Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Electrical question (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/electrical-question-92129/)

19Mater86 September 9th, 2018 8:11 PM

Electrical question

I recently swapped 350's, same year. Everything went together seamlessly, except one thing. There's a white wire with a black stripe under the air filter housing, oassenger side, and only reaching to the alternator/smog pump area. I used a wire to touch it to the engine and it blew the key-switch-on fuse. What does it go to? Or at least what is it for? I can't find it anywhere in the Chilton's manual I have.

Thanks for your help!

oilcanhenry September 10th, 2018 6:59 PM

Originally Posted by 19Mater86 (Post 362402)
I recently swapped 350's, same year. Everything went together seamlessly, except one thing. There's a white wire with a black stripe under the air filter housing, oassenger side, and only reaching to the alternator/smog pump area. I used a wire to touch it to the engine and it blew the key-switch-on fuse. What does it go to? Or at least what is it for? I can't find it anywhere in the Chilton's manual I have.

Thanks for your help!

Might be for an under-the-hood lighting bulb.

Can it reach as far as the AC Compressor?

geo1 September 10th, 2018 7:13 PM

Electric choke?

19Mater86 September 13th, 2018 10:32 AM

It can reach as far as the alternator. Comes out of the wire harness for the smog pump and alternator. Have the electric choke wire (also from the harness) connected.

geo1 September 13th, 2018 2:58 PM

What type of end is on it?and was it in use before?shiny spot on connector?

geo1 September 13th, 2018 3:43 PM

Looked in old book,those years had a bunch of stuff on them,found no white wire/b,but there was a idle stop solenoid

kevinkpk September 13th, 2018 3:48 PM

It's not impossible for a generic wiring harness that that connector dosn't go anywhere on you vehicle.

19Mater86 September 13th, 2018 3:51 PM

It's a female disconnect end. It was not in use before. The old engine was modified greatly due to someone not liking the fact that it had emissions stuff on it. Where was the idle stop solenoid located?

geo1 September 13th, 2018 5:13 PM

It showed it as mounted in front of throttle lever where cable attached,what for?couldn't find,extra part,lol

bulldogtt September 13th, 2018 6:05 PM

Originally Posted by 19Mater86 (Post 362402)

Thanks for your help!

afternoon depending on where you live obviously
so i have looked at the electrical diagrams for your vehicle year and the only white/black wire has something to do with the data link controller i found it on the engine control system wiring diagram not sure if it helps i am still trying to figure out what if anything it should be attached to. i will get back to you if i find anything definite.
cheers