Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Exhaust Manifold Questions - 93 Sub 454

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2015, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifold Questions - 93 Sub 454

Hello everyone, new forum member here. I have a 93 Sub K2500 454 that I'm sorta resurrecting after sitting dormant in my garage for the past 3-4 years. Its really in pretty descent shape with low miles (~120k original) and its running/driving but does need some TLC. There is a lot of rust underneath, but it's still pretty solid. I've already replaced the brake lines and removed the broken front drive shaft (still need to replace). Replaced sway bar links (both were completely broken). One of my final major repairs is an exhaust leak due to broken flange studs at the passenger side manifold. It was going to be impossible to repair in place, so I've already removed the entire exhaust manifold. I'm actually replacing the whole thing, for $70 it wasn't worth the hassle of extracting the broken studs, plus I have some piece of mind that it isn't warped (I expect someone might point out that even brand new parts can be warped...I know . Now to my questions...

First, I've searched high and low for replacement manifold bolts (the ones that attach to the head, not the flange) and have not had any success. It seems risky to reuse the original bolts but I have found most people claim its ok if they are in good shape, which they are. Opinions and/or suggestions where to find replacements? The regular bolts aren't as much of an issue as the three bolts that have the mounting studs for the heat shields that protect the ignition cables. I was also surprised to find that there seems to be no gasket at either the flange or the head! Am I just missing it, is it just disguised by crud? I intend to install gaskets when I put it back together, what should I torque the bolts to?

Second, I want to take advantage of having the manifold off by replacing anything (regardless of whether it's functional) that would be challenging to replace otherwise with the manifold in place. Can anyone recommend what I should focus on? I'm already planning the knock sensor, ground strap (which was already disintegrated) and was even considering the starter. How hard is to replace the starter with the manifold in place? Any other suggestions?

I think that's all I have for now, but I'm sure there will be a lot more questions before its said and done. I welcome any other unrelated tips/advice, thanks in advance!

-Joe