Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   FLOOR JACK? WHICH ONE? RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A NOVICE PLEASE. (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/floor-jack-one-recommendations-novice-please-3477/)

biglg November 4th, 2006 2:33 AM

RE: FLOOR JACK? WHICH ONE? RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A NOVICE PLEASE.

Thanks for the information guys. I plan to change my own. I am going to put in Mobil 1 synthetic and I dont really want to pay the dealer the price to change the oil, and also their overpriced oil. I can get the oil from walmart and filter and do it myself for $35. The $15 difference is worth having synthic oil even if I have to get a little dirty.

73shark November 4th, 2006 2:41 AM

A side benefit to doing it yourself is you get to check out things that you wouldn't normally see. Have fun.;)

Plan to do mine Sunday.

biglg November 4th, 2006 2:42 AM

I havent even been under the tahoe yet. Is the filter hard to get to? Where is the location of the filter and the plug? Anyone know the wrech size for the bolt plug?

Gman November 4th, 2006 2:49 AM

OK guys, I changed my own oil when I was younger but y'all will get old one of these days too.

addkev November 4th, 2006 9:38 AM

Pre filling the filter is to aid in preventing a completely dry start. Not sure about the schematic of the 5.3, but often the oil pump will pull directly from the filter.
Oil filters are designed to sit on the shelf for months and months waiting to be bought. By wetting the gasket with oil you will make sure that gasket is moist and doing what it is supposed to do. And like 73 Shark said you want to make sure the old gasket came off. You can look at the old filter or just feel the mating surface of the engine.
When I changed my oil for the first time in the Tahoe the filter was VERY tight. If you don't have a filter wrench you may want to look into getting one. Worst case you can drive a screwdriver through it but that can be really messy.

lagger November 4th, 2006 9:49 AM

biglg,

The plug and filter are very easy to get to. The plug is mounted on the side of the oil pan directly across from the oil filter. You'll see the oil filter right away (Mine was blue ACDelco-PH48), it is very easy to get to, but very difficult to get off. Make sure you have some type of oil filter wrench. The plug size, i believe is 13 mm if i remember correctly. Good luck and dont forget to wear gloves. This is a messy one.

P.S. Could you tell me if you see a lot of rust under yours,, cuz ive got a lot under mine.

biglg November 4th, 2006 11:18 AM

Thanks guys for all the info. I will hopefully get a lift today and get this done. Thanks again for all the information.

lagger,
When I finally get under the hoe I will let you know what it looks like.

70mopar November 4th, 2006 12:04 PM

biglg, not sure if u have decided which place u r going 2 look first for your jack & stands but, Sam's Club currently has the Roush Racing, 3 ton, speedy lift floor jack on for $90. i have the Michelin 3 ton speedy lift, and it's great, the Roush one is pretty much the same, and has a reputable name behind it. as for stands, i personaly use 6 ton stands. they have a nice wide foot print, r way more stable when the truck is higher up in the air. i also have cut (4) pieces of 2x12 to put under the stands-it'll save your driveway from getting any 'dents' in it. i have 2 1/2 ton, 3 ton, and the 6 ton stands, and i've just found that being a big guy, i just could fit my chest under the frame while layin' on my creeper. the 3 tons did the job, but were fully extended- not the best idea, IMO.
oh yeah, if u don't have a creeper yet, and u do go to Sam's, pick up on of their creeper's (the name on it just says "Mechanics Creeper" in white, on a red padded board). i bought mine in '96 and i'm still using it to this day! and i've never had to repair it once. no re-welding the frame, or replacing wheels, etc.... and i find it's pretty comfortable for laying on your back beyond the 10 minutes for an oil change.

biglg November 4th, 2006 12:40 PM

70Mopar,

Thank you very much for the information. There isnt a Sam's CLub in my home town. The nearest is about an hour away. I will run to Walmart, Sears, Lowes, and Ace Hardware and see what I find. If I dont find one that works, I will drive to the nearest Sams club. Thanks for all the information guys. I will let you know how it goes.

Once the vehicle is on the Jack Stands does anyone take any further safety measures, suck as blocks??? Or can the jack stands be trusted?

70mopar November 4th, 2006 3:08 PM

big, sorry i didn't see your post right away. if u only have the front/rear in the air, it's a good idea to place a wheel chock on the down side of the tire, ie. front in the air, put chock behind the rear tire. rear in the air, put chock in front of rear tire-all pretty much common sense (just for thoose that don't have any)
i also personally give the truck a shove-just a little one, to make sure it has settled onto the stands completely, especially if the truck is up on (4) stands. have fun with your oil change, and good luck on staying clean & tidy- i find it works best if u wear a new white shirt and white pants, easiest way 2 see where the oil has splashed on u, [sm=exactly.gif]