Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Fluids questions for a new user

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2012, 8:56 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Since the diff is part of the power train, I think you could make an argument that it's covered by the 5/100K warranty unless it's specifically excluded. Check your warranty book for the specific language.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 9:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
cidsamuth Welcome to the fourm

The users manual will provide the info you need...
The rear diff gasket should be pretty generic but even getting it from the dealer should not be very costly and you'll know your getting the exact right one ( bring your VIN in with you)

I would question why you would want to service the tranny so soon particularly if you don't do a lot of off-roading or towing.... you should be good for 100k miles...

As for the fluids, I would use the synthetics but also check to see which cases will need additives in addition to the fluids...
transmission service is recommended every 50,000 on almost all GMs, and I wouldn't worry about a gasket I just use high temp rtv a lot cheaper and 1 tube goes a long ways.

the front diff has a drain plug
Old February 23rd, 2012, 4:17 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Since the diff is part of the power train, I think you could make an argument that it's covered by the 5/100K warranty unless it's specifically excluded. Check your warranty book for the specific language.
I hadn't thought of that -- will call the dealer today and see what their stance is.

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
transmission service is recommended every 50,000 on almost all GMs, and I wouldn't worry about a gasket I just use high temp rtv a lot cheaper and 1 tube goes a long ways.

Good info, thanks.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 9:26 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cleveland63b

I agree that is does state that but its only if you meet the following criteria:
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter
if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or
more of these conditions:
− In heavy city traffic where the outside
temperature regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or
higher.
− In hilly or mountainous terrain.
− When doing frequent trailer towing.
− Uses such as found in taxi, police, or delivery
service.

Otherwise its 100K, I did ask my service adviser at my local dealership if I should have my transmission serviced since I do some light towing of a camper trailer... given the weight of my trailer and the limited amount of towing he recommend I wait till 100K...
They could have made money off of me...

It comes down to personal choice....
Old February 23rd, 2012, 8:23 PM
CF Veteran

published materials will say 50k for gm but as anything with an automobile its a matter of opinion or who you want to believe

I base all my opinions off my personal experiences beings I've been in shops longer than I've been driving. To each their own
Old February 24th, 2012, 4:56 AM
CF Beginner

Well, some great info on this thread, and it has helped much.

I called the dealership, and the rear diff leak IS covered under the powertrain. While there, I think we will just pay them the $200 for a trans flush -- especially since a fluid/filter change by me doesn't get but half the fluid out anyway.

They want another $100 for the transfer case and $100 for the front axle -- so I'll probably circle back and do those myself, since they are relatively easy.
Old February 24th, 2012, 9:49 PM
CF Veteran

yea you can put some real high end fluid in and still not pay anywhere near the labor prices if you do those on your own and it shouldnt take long at all