Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   The folding 2nd row seats on my 2011 Tahoe (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/folding-2nd-row-seats-my-2011-tahoe-48030/)

BeechV35Pilot January 22nd, 2012 10:47 AM

The folding 2nd row seats on my 2011 Tahoe

As a one-time owner of a 1997 Tahoe and a 2001 Tahoe, I wanted to rant about the folding second row of seats on my 2011 Tahoe. In my opinion, GM/Chevy got it so right with those older trucks - that is, if you needed to fold the second row of seats down for the extra carrying capacity, those model years had a second row of seats that almost disappeared.

On the older models the bottom seat bench folded up towards the front seats and the second row seatbacks folded down to become part of the cargo bed. Total distance in the cargo bed lost to the folded seats: About four inches, which maximized the open cargo area.

On my 2011 truck then second row is now one unit, so that folding them out of the way results in about twelve inches lost in the rear cargo area. Furthermore, the bed is now not one flat and contiguous space - rather, the bed drops off where the second row once was.

I am curious why GM/Chevy changed the operation of the folding second seats. Is there an advantage here that I am not seeing or was it simply a cost cutting move?

HOE-N-IT January 22nd, 2012 2:14 PM

I had a 02 Yukon and now an 11 Tahoe LTZ. I would agree with you that the way the seat bottom folded forward and the seat back folded almost flat was better. I think they changed it for several reasons. The lower floor height makes it easier to get in the back when using the 3rd row seats if equiped. The power fold option on the LTZ (maybe other models too) would be harder to implement with the old style and the standard captains chairs on the LTZ would leave a gap in the middle anyway. The lower floor between the captains chairs also makes it easier to get to the 3rd row without folding the seats. I ordered my LTZ with the bench second row and removed the 3rd row seats and put them in the attic so I too wish it worked the old way.

73shark January 22nd, 2012 7:58 PM

It's even worse if you have the 2nd row console sticking up. :eek:

calrrw February 18th, 2012 11:01 PM

2nd row captains for bench

I have an 08 tahoe with black leather, no power fold, no heat 2nd row captain chairs. I would like to trade for a bench. I live near memphis, tn. and travel near indianapolis often enough. anyone interested?

zeked June 23rd, 2012 10:21 PM

Does anyone know what year the seats changed from fold down to slide? I have a 2002 suburban with the fold down option and it does make it a pain to get to the 3rd row seats

Zeke

youthpastor040310 September 7th, 2012 12:00 PM

i have a tan leather set of 2nd row captains chairs for a suburban (2007-2012) mines a 2008. i really want a bench seat to haul my youth group around. please help me!!

kevinkpk September 7th, 2012 1:41 PM

Originally Posted by youthpastor040310 (Post 226067)
i have a tan leather set of 2nd row captains chairs for a suburban (2007-2012) mines a 2008. i really want a bench seat to haul my youth group around. please help me!!

I'd suggest go to the parts for sale forum. You might offer them in a trade.

staggerlee September 7th, 2012 4:15 PM

We never use the third row seats.
I took one of them out and put it in a plastic bag.
A lot of times we still need more room for groceries.

The second row folds by power, to bad they don't open the same way.
Lee

Bonesy July 15th, 2014 8:03 AM

Originally Posted by BeechV35Pilot (Post 203968)
As a one-time owner of a 1997 Tahoe and a 2001 Tahoe, I wanted to rant about the folding second row of seats on my 2011 Tahoe. In my opinion, GM/Chevy got it so right with those older trucks - that is, if you needed to fold the second row of seats down for the extra carrying capacity, those model years had a second row of seats that almost disappeared.

On the older models the bottom seat bench folded up towards the front seats and the second row seatbacks folded down to become part of the cargo bed. Total distance in the cargo bed lost to the folded seats: About four inches, which maximized the open cargo area.

On my 2011 truck then second row is now one unit, so that folding them out of the way results in about twelve inches lost in the rear cargo area. Furthermore, the bed is now not one flat and contiguous space - rather, the bed drops off where the second row once was.

I am curious why GM/Chevy changed the operation of the folding second seats. Is there an advantage here that I am not seeing or was it simply a cost cutting move?

As a General Contractor that previously owned a 2005 GMC Yukon XL, I share your frustrations with the rear seating design/cargo area on the 2010 Chevy/GMC models!! The rest of the truck is so nice, it's a shame Chevy dropped the ball in this area. Does anyone know if there exist an after market "plug" to fill the approximate 7" gap that exist from the back of the 2nd row seats to the rear cargo area. Anything I push up against the back of the 2nd row seats tilts down or falls into that gap. Any insight would be appreciated.

SabrToothSqrl July 15th, 2014 8:21 AM

gap

my 1995 Tahoe rear seat folded flat w/the rear cargo area... it was nice.