Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Chevy Suburban 2001 - Drive Cycle and a couple ODBs

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2020, 8:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Suburban 2001 - Drive Cycle and a couple ODBs

Hello Everyone, glad i found this site and you all!

I would say long story short, but id be lying!! Recently purchased a chevy suburban 2001, not long after buying the water pump started leaking which i repaired along with the coolant reservoir. Unfortunately, i am not mechanic, and this is the first time ive really tried fixing things myself - at the sametime trying to teach my children along the way! (watching alot of youtube vids).

Anyway, whilst i was driving to the garage just after buying the vehicle the check engine light came on - this was the O2 sensor P0140 (bank 1 sensor 2), again purchased the sensor and replaced this. However, check engine light has not gone off, and after about 300 miles driving the drive cycle has still not been reached! Any suggestions on how you actually achieve a drive cycle completion would be most welcome?

Have checked the ODB checks again (yesterday) and have the following U1000 Class 2 data link malfunction, P0140 Current History MIL O2 Sensor Bank 1 sensor 2 (since last cycle Not Run, Since DTCs Erased Fail), P0160 O2 Sensor Bank 2 sensor 2 Intermittent (MIL not requested, Since last Key Cycle NOT RUN, since DTCs erased PASS/FAIL, P0140 O2 Sensor Bank 1 sensor 2 "Confirmed", P0140 O2 Sensor Bank 1 sensor 2 "Pending". Good fun aye! So U1000 probably relates to the O2s (might be stating the obvious there but you only know what you know)! Please feel free to correct me if im wrong! Why would i have 3 P0140s now, not sure what confirmed or pending means, and then have i unfortunately got another issue with the other 02 sensor with the P0160 bank 2 sensor 2?

Thats not all folks, so, to add to this, i found that i had15 ODB items , of which most are listed as history since last cycle PASS and since DTCs erased PASS - are these anything to worry about, does history mean that they have just been resolved, but maintaining the record for historical purposes?

Keen to learn what your thoughts are positive or negative, it all helps in understanding the mechanics behind these machines!! Thanks for your time as always....
The MiSfiTs.
Old February 14th, 2020, 7:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the first thing I would do is go to an Autozone or O'Reilly's etc. Have all the codes cleared, which they do for free. That way your starting with an clean slate.
Old February 14th, 2020, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the input Silverfox103 going off to do that now and see where we end up!! Updates to follow!
Old February 1st, 2023, 4:48 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dear Misfits

Originally Posted by TheMisfits
Hello Everyone, glad i found this site and you all!

I would say long story short, but id be lying!! Recently purchased a chevy suburban 2001, not long after buying the water pump started leaking which i repaired along with the coolant reservoir. Unfortunately, i am not mechanic, and this is the first time ive really tried fixing things myself - at the sametime trying to teach my children along the way! (watching alot of youtube vids).

Anyway, whilst i was driving to the garage just after buying the vehicle the check engine light came on - this was the O2 sensor P0140 (bank 1 sensor 2), again purchased the sensor and replaced this. However, check engine light has not gone off, and after about 300 miles driving the drive cycle has still not been reached! Any suggestions on how you actually achieve a drive cycle completion would be most welcome?

Have checked the ODB checks again (yesterday) and have the following U1000 Class 2 data link malfunction, P0140 Current History MIL O2 Sensor Bank 1 sensor 2 (since last cycle Not Run, Since DTCs Erased Fail), P0160 O2 Sensor Bank 2 sensor 2 Intermittent (MIL not requested, Since last Key Cycle NOT RUN, since DTCs erased PASS/FAIL, P0140 O2 Sensor Bank 1 sensor 2 "Confirmed", P0140 O2 Sensor Bank 1 sensor 2 "Pending". Good fun aye! So U1000 probably relates to the O2s (might be stating the obvious there but you only know what you know)! Please feel free to correct me if im wrong! Why would i have 3 P0140s now, not sure what confirmed or pending means, and then have i unfortunately got another issue with the other 02 sensor with the P0160 bank 2 sensor 2?

Thats not all folks, so, to add to this, i found that i had15 ODB items , of which most are listed as history since last cycle PASS and since DTCs erased PASS - are these anything to worry about, does history mean that they have just been resolved, but maintaining the record for historical purposes?

Keen to learn what your thoughts are positive or negative, it all helps in understanding the mechanics behind these machines!! Thanks for your time as always....
The MiSfiTs.
So your U1000 code is a communications error code . This occurs anytime the battery is disconnected and a memory saver has Not been applied Prior to the Disconnection OR any time any single Or multiple modules lose power due to blown fuses or Intermittent connection OR BAD Intermittent Ground connections.
Ground connections are CRITICAL for proper operations in computer Supervised vehicles .
Ground conductors must show near zero Ohms from end to end and connection surfaces of the cable ends and connection surfaces MUST BE CLEAN for proper conductivity of ground signals and return voltage signals to the PCM/ECM and All other various control modules . The Datta Buss also has Terminating resistors 120 Ohms 1 at each end of the Data Buss . Together they create a reading of 60 Ohms on the active Data Buss . I have experienced problems like this on my Own vehicle and the Root Cause was Fuses (6) in total that had corroded at the fuse base and appeared ok but failed a continuity test . The corroded fuses were all in the Under Hood fuse panel . There were also corroded terminals on several of the relay stabs and sockets in the same panel .
After having your O n B oard D iagnostics II Codes cleared you will likely have the M I L come back for the Intermittent issue items . The only way to eliminate the cause is systematic trouble shooting beginning with Power supplies (fuses/relays) and Grounds / Returns .
Once you have Verified / Repaired any wiring issues Replace the O2 sensor with the intermittent / pending fault code . Ensure the pins and sockets of that sensors connector are clean and make solid connections . There are harness connector repair kits available If the factory connector is damaged for that sensor .
I wish you good luck and much patience in the process you are about to undertake .
Old February 4th, 2023, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Misfits, welcome to the forum. Good luck.