Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

fuel fill up problems

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2014, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The genius engineers at GM in their infinite wisdom have made the fill tube / neck significantly smaller. I know this because I've put 2 fuel pumps in our old 2001 suburban (never had any issue receiving fuel), and now I've put 1 on our 2007 (almost always has fueling issues, either belches it on the side of the truck, or myself, or my wife, even when pulling the trigger halfway, no matter what the position of the fill pistol.) What a "turd" this 07 is compared to our old 01 that we put 250,000 miles on and its a little rusty but still truckin' GM.....you are taking good pieces and going the wrong direction. In the short time I've owned this one, I have:
#1) due to excessive oil consumption (1 qt > 1000 miles) replaced the Drivers side valve cover with a "new design." on me, and had to drop the front differential and oil pan to install a "shield" on the active fuel management pressure relief valve (that whole system is a P.O.S!)
#2) Recently replaced the throttle body $250 due to bad throttle position sensors? WTF!! What was wrong with the throttle cable that worked flawlessly for 250,000 miles on the 01 GM? Lasted to long or what? I never had an issue controlling that beast, throttle response was always fine! Probably 10 more idiotic things I've had to repair on this thing, but this post would get to long. I also have a 2003 Duramax with 361,000 miles on it, and if I could buy that truck again, I would. But I wouldn't touch a newer Duramax with a 10 ft pole. Yep....they've screwed that product line up as well. (whole new story for another thread!) Its a sad day for me as I built and raced Chevrolets for a living for quite a few years when I was younger and vowed I would never own anything with a blue oval on it. But it looks like the tides have changed, or are at least shifting that way. My next vehicle may very well be a "FURD."
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

It sounds more like something in the evaporative emissions control system has failed rather than the small neck. If it was the small neck causing the problem, then it would be happening to all of the GMT900s
Old April 4th, 2014, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Hi,
I also had issues with a new to me 2006 Tahoe when I purchased it in Dec of 2013. Could not get it to fuel up properly. I changed the vent solenoid first and then the switch under the hood on the engine and still no luck. When I changed the canister which is the third piece of the system, all of my filling issues went away as did the service engine light.

I see from your posts that you have changed the two items under the rear of the vehicle but not the one under the hood. Only one more to go as it seems that the dealer is not able to determine the problem. I hate the plug and pray method of repair but this is what I had to do with mine to resolve the filling issue. On another note, the vehicle I purchased had been ran for several miles on gravel roads and even though the canister did not appear to be plugged with dirt, because it was the last piece I changed the results were instant. Good luck.
Old April 15th, 2017, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Greetings,
I'm having refueling issues as well with a 06 2500HD 6.0L. I replaced the evap solenoid a few year back because of an ongoing engine light - P0446. I still get a light on about every week but for the past 6 months and getting worse by the day it takes forever to fill. My wife's 2005 Tahoe has started doing it but only on occasion. I want to mention that I've upfitted a few work trucks in the past and had to remove the bed and fill tube. I notice that there's a spring loaded baffle at the opening of the tank. I suspect there's possibly an issue here.

I'm wondering if it has to do with someone stealing gas, as in sticking a siphon hose down there, maybe causing damage? One thing that does help a little is holding the nozzle inverted. This baffle unfortunately is not a separate part so one would have to replace the tank @ $400 +.
Old June 8th, 2017, 5:18 PM
CF Junior Member

^^ Wow I've had the same issue. Someone tried stealing my gas and once this happened I have had the same issue pumping gas. Any updates?
Old June 12th, 2017, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same thing here

2007 Tahoe LT 4wd 5.3l, can't get gas in easily.
I have already replaced the evap vent valve, the purge valve, the evap charcoal canister. dropped the filer neck and checked for obstructions, nothing there. No DIC lights, no codes, just a bitch to get gas in.
I also noticed the spring-loaded "baffle" inside the neck of the gas tank, but it moves freely.

I have checked all lines as far as I can, blowing compressed air through the ones I could reach, nothing wrong there.

there are only a few gas stations near me, and I've tried just about all of them, same results. I haven't had any luck with the position of the gas nozzle, but I'll keep trying that trick.

Any other ideas?
Old August 18th, 2017, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

I'm a tech at shop and I'm dealing with this problem. I've found a replaced canister and valve. I also found gunk inside the tube on the inside of the tank from the canister. The big tube. I'm still trying to figure this out but it looks like the take may need to be replaced.
Old August 21st, 2017, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My issue was determined to be damage to the evap lines and hoses that run above the tank. I finally decided to drop the tank on the idea that I would replace it, since I tried everything else and nothing seemed to fix it. When I dropped the tank, I noticed that someone had been there before me, the evap lines and fuel lines above the tank were crushed. It seems that a protective plate was missing, and when the tank was raised the lines got crushed. After replacing the tank and those lines, the truck behaves like it should, takes gas without shutting off the pump. Quite an expensive problem, since it's a good idea to also replace the fuel pump and seals since the tank is down anyway.
Old September 24th, 2017, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kenmanme
My issue was determined to be damage to the evap lines and hoses that run above the tank. I finally decided to drop the tank on the idea that I would replace it, since I tried everything else and nothing seemed to fix it. When I dropped the tank, I noticed that someone had been there before me, the evap lines and fuel lines above the tank were crushed. It seems that a protective plate was missing, and when the tank was raised the lines got crushed. After replacing the tank and those lines, the truck behaves like it should, takes gas without shutting off the pump. Quite an expensive problem, since it's a good idea to also replace the fuel pump and seals since the tank is down anyway.
When the dealer replaced my fuel pump/sending unit, that's when the fueling problem started. The dealer has since replaced the canister and the selinoid.
No luck with fueling. Now I get a P0455 code. Makes no sense. Any ideas? I think the dealer should drop the tank
Old October 14th, 2017, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Did you ever solve the problem Musky Hunter 67? I am having the same trouble with my Tahoe. We have replaced every part you could think of. We are at a lost. Thanks!

Quick Reply: fuel fill up problems