Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Grinding/Whining & Transmission wont go into Drive (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/grinding-whining-transmission-wont-go-into-drive-27126/)

RedOctober October 26th, 2009 11:52 PM

Grinding/Whining & Transmission wont go into Drive

So I was sitting at a red light today, everything was dandy.. and when I started to accellerate the truck shuttered and almost felt like we got rear-ended. It was a violent shake. and then when i tried to accelerate it felt like it had slipped into Neutral. Drive is completely dead, when I switch to Drive, I get nothing. So I put it in 1st, and it worked, it went into gear. then when i started to accelerate it made this horrible scratching/grinding/whining sound. so i CAN accelerate SLOWLY and switch to 2nd, SLOWLY, and accelerate SLOWLY and switch to 3rd. 3rd feels good when I accelerate but then if i step on it, it slips out of 3rd back to that neutral feeling. If I try to accelerate quickly in 1st and 2nd i get that horrible sound and grinding feel.

you know what it sounds like, is if you were to pull a 100lb steel table along a concrete floor... very strange sound and feel. my GUESS was transfer box? Clutch? maybe someone else has the problem solved already?

The truck is a 2007 LTZ flex fuel 5.3L. 83,400 mi. No indicator lights, no nothing. just that horrible sound and feel, and Drive doesnt work.. I do have a powertrain warranty to 100,000 mi. so im hoping its considered a powertrain fix? its at a dealer now but they cant get to it til thursday, and i cant wait for an answer, and i know this is the best place for other chevy fans to give me peace of mind.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Fast55 October 27th, 2009 5:08 PM

You just lost the trans. Did you buy an extended warranty? My '07 LTZ was up at 36K.

73shark October 27th, 2009 10:37 PM

Power train is good for 100K miles and 5 years (I think).

RedOctober November 9th, 2009 4:17 PM

yep, i was covered on an extended 100,000 mi. it turns out it was a Forward Sprag Gear, whatever that may be. I looked at a picture of it, looks extremely complicated. But if anyone else has those symptoms, its a sprag.

muzhik May 4th, 2012 5:28 PM

Originally Posted by RedOctober (Post 118564)
So I was sitting at a red light today, everything was dandy.. and when I started to accellerate the truck shuttered and almost felt like we got rear-ended. It was a violent shake. and then when i tried to accelerate it felt like it had slipped into Neutral. Drive is completely dead, when I switch to Drive, I get nothing. So I put it in 1st, and it worked, it went into gear. then when i started to accelerate it made this horrible scratching/grinding/whining sound. so i CAN accelerate SLOWLY and switch to 2nd, SLOWLY, and accelerate SLOWLY and switch to 3rd. 3rd feels good when I accelerate but then if i step on it, it slips out of 3rd back to that neutral feeling. If I try to accelerate quickly in 1st and 2nd i get that horrible sound and grinding feel.

you know what it sounds like, is if you were to pull a 100lb steel table along a concrete floor... very strange sound and feel. my GUESS was transfer box? Clutch? maybe someone else has the problem solved already?

The truck is a 2007 LTZ flex fuel 5.3L. 83,400 mi. No indicator lights, no nothing. just that horrible sound and feel, and Drive doesnt work.. I do have a powertrain warranty to 100,000 mi. so im hoping its considered a powertrain fix? its at a dealer now but they cant get to it til thursday, and i cant wait for an answer, and i know this is the best place for other chevy fans to give me peace of mind.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Same thing happened to me today at a stop light, '07 avalanche w/50k on it... glad that I have extended warranty on it, called my dealer, they said bring it in, warranty expires on 13th of May... phew...

(had so many issues with this truck)