Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hard Start Issues...Please Help!!!

Old October 22nd, 2010, 8:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bro, you re chasing ghosts. Replace the fuel pump and the sending unit and call it a day. If you have no codes then there is no direction to steer yourself in.

Alternatively, get the diagnosis sheet for the PASSKEY system. And errors it may cause.

Last edited by RacerX; October 22nd, 2010 at 8:46 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 9:07 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are you not hooked up at the test port on the engine. It does not have anything to do with the pumps pressure. It has to do with the pump letting the pressure bleed back. My only idea is the pump as it will fix it. So you can keep running in circles and throwing parts at it on your own.
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another avenue you may want to take is to check the spark at the plug when it is cold to see if you have spark and good spark.

also what happens when you turn the switch on and leave it in the on poistion for a few minutes then crank, does it crank up or still just spin over?

Also if you have a bad coolant sensor or bad sensor circuit to the ECU then the engine will not know that it is cold and needs more fuel for initial start up. Just another place to look.
Old October 25th, 2010, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

I tested the coolant temp sensor and it checked out fine but Ithink I am going to still replace that too. I ended up having to replace my starter also...thought that fixed it but to no avail...Im trying to find a pump for a reasonable price now but I cant figure out if my pump is with or without the RFI...Any ideas on how to figure it out before I drop the tank?
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:12 AM
CF Active Member

Get an OEM fuel pump. The cheap ones are just that and will not last.

Also do you run with your gas tank less than 1/4 full often?
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

That is a good question , you will need ask your local dealer how to determine if your Tahoe has the RFI type of not.

My guess is you do not have the RFI filter, its normally only the vechicles with alot of electronics, (police car, ambulance, etc.)
Old October 25th, 2010, 8:55 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any good parts store can get you the correct pump by the Vin. If you buy a cheap pump you will do it more than 1 time before you buy the good pump.
Old October 26th, 2010, 6:18 AM
CF Beginner

I tried giving the dealership my vin and they couldnt figure out if i needed the pump with the RFI or not either...I am goona just buy the one without, drop the tank, and hope that I got the right one on the first try or I'll be back at the parts store. I dont usually run my gas tank less than 1/4 tank....where I live, you never know when you will be sttuck in traffic. But i am going to replace the pump soon before my luck runs out and my truck doesnt start for me anymore.
Old October 26th, 2010, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old October 27th, 2010, 5:49 AM
CF Beginner

FINALLY fixed my Tahoe!!!! It was the pump...we swapped it out last night in the garage and this morning it fired right up. She is back and running great. The pump that goes in this truck is the one without the RFI filter. The hardest part about the whole job was dropping the tank and getting it back up. There is a part of the frame that the front end of the tank sits on that would make the job a lot simpler if it was about 2-3 inches more forward but its welded so you cant move it. Tough job but Isaved myself another $200-$300 by doing it myself with a lil help from a friend. Definitley not a one man job unless you have the right tools and a lift. Thanks to all that put in their input....it is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard Start Issues...Please Help!!!