Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hello Eveyone

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2015, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello Eveyone

Hello everyone like I said in my introduction I'm a Noob to the Chevy world how ever I plan on buying a Suburban after I sale my little Mazda and the idea of converting the Suburban to a manual interests me I've already did some research on the tranny I would need a NV4500 how ever I love to know more about the Engines. just about all I know is that they originally came from the military Hummers and that there turbo Diesel does anyone know the latest model Suburban that can be Converted. I'm not trying to be like every other red neck you see Duramaxing the **** outta there trucks the main reason I'm wanting this Vehicle because I'm wanting to turn it into an ultimate Prepper Vehicle and there will be another conversion to use different types of oil as fuel. my main focus for this build will be low miles per gallon yes ill jack it up a couple of feet in case of off road driving

Last edited by ch3vyR0cks; May 10th, 2015 at 8:30 PM.
Old May 12th, 2015, 7:54 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum
Old May 12th, 2015, 8:18 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome.
Old May 12th, 2015, 9:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last year for the 6.5 diesel in a Sub was 2000. They didn't originally come from Hummers, the Hummer used a non electronic version of the engine series. It started out as a 6.2 non-turbo in the '80's and over the years became a 6.5 turbo with mechanical injection then later electronic injection from the mid 1990's on.

I don't have anything to offer about the tranny swap, go to either thetruckstop.com or dieselplace.com for more info.

I ran a Suburban on waste vegetable oil for a few years. Very fun project, but not a money saver, takes some work to convert the vehicle and then the 6.5 injection system doesn't hold up well to the alternative fuel. A Ford 7.3 is a much better platform for a veg conversion.