Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2018, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

2005 suburban, stalls when driving on freeway. At lights or at idle. Sometimes starts right back up. Or gotta wait fews mins. Do do so. Once it's starts it runs for various times. 4 mins. , 2 mins. 3 mins. Etc. I've done fuel pressure test on pump. Key on car off. Only read 30lbs. Didn't hold pressure. So. Changed out fuel pump. Didn't work. Then bought a new pcm chip. Didn't work. Theres no codes ok. Then cleaned the M.A.S. and throttle body. Didn't work. Drop the crankshaft position sensor cleaned plug and test sensor with mutlimeter. Sensor check out ok. Still nothing. Bought new battery. Still same dying out. It will run for various times then die out. I'm lost. Need help thanks . I've also check the really as well. Lost what it may be. Thanks for any input
Old September 5th, 2018, 2:40 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rice
2005 suburban, stalls when driving on freeway. At lights or at idle. Sometimes starts right back up. Or gotta wait fews mins. Do do so. Once it's starts it runs for various times. 4 mins. , 2 mins. 3 mins. Etc. I've done fuel pressure test on pump. Key on car off. Only read 30lbs. Didn't hold pressure. So. Changed out fuel pump. Didn't work. Then bought a new pcm chip. Didn't work. Theres no codes ok. Then cleaned the M.A.S. and throttle body. Didn't work. Drop the crankshaft position sensor cleaned plug and test sensor with mutlimeter. Sensor check out ok. Still nothing. Bought new battery. Still same dying out. It will run for various times then die out. I'm lost. Need help thanks . I've also check the really as well. Lost what it may be. Thanks for any input
Do you have engine size, mileage and other info? 30 PSI fuel pressure is way too low. Maybe bad fuel pump or regulator. Surprised it even runs at 30 PSI.
Old September 5th, 2018, 8:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar problem with our 2002 Suburban. It would suddenly stall and sometimes r.o save the data) and gave it to him. It showed that the signal from the crankshaft position sensor was dropping out. Replaced sensor and problem fixed. You will probably need a similar monitor to catch what is happening when the engine dies.

Steve
Old September 5th, 2018, 8:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry my reply got chopped somehow. It should say:

I had a similar problem with our 2002 Suburban. It would suddenly stall and sometimes restart right away and sometimes I had to wait a few minutes. A mechanic gave me a monitor module to plug into the OBD II port. When it stalled the next time I unplugged the monitor (to save the data) and gave it to him. It showed that the signal from the crankshaft position sensor was dropping out. Replaced sensor and problem fixed. You will probably need a similar monitor to catch what is happening when the engine dies.

Steve
Old September 5th, 2018, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Do you have engine size, mileage and other info? 30 PSI fuel pressure is way too low. Maybe bad fuel pump or regulator. Surprised it even runs at 30 PSI.
5.3 1500 yes 30 psi is low. But I replace fuel pump with new one. Still stalling after few mins. Running starts back up runs for a min. Or 2. Then sometimes. I gotta wait 10-15 mins. Because it will just turn over no start
Old September 5th, 2018, 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 02Sub
Sorry my reply got chopped somehow. It should say:

I had a similar problem with our 2002 Suburban. It would suddenly stall and sometimes restart right away and sometimes I had to wait a few minutes. A mechanic gave me a monitor module to plug into the OBD II port. When it stalled the next time I unplugged the monitor (to save the data) and gave it to him. It showed that the signal from the crankshaft position sensor was dropping out. Replaced sensor and problem fixed. You will probably need a similar monitor to catch what is happening when the engine dies.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I might have to try that. Even tho. I tested that sensor it had continuity. I'm just tired replacing part after part after part is not fixing it
Old September 5th, 2018, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what brand fuel pump did you install? did you replace the fuel filter as well as the pump? have you checked the fuel pump relay? might want to look at the fuel pressure regulator.
as you have found out Chevrolets dont like to run with low fuel pressure
Old September 5th, 2018, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tahoe03
what brand fuel pump did you install? did you replace the fuel filter as well as the pump? have you checked the fuel pump relay? might want to look at the fuel pressure regulator.
as you have found out Chevrolets dont like to run with low fuel pressure
Fuel pump was a Delphi. The 2005 suburban 1500 don't have fuel filter it has a inline gas tank. I cant find the fuel pressure regulator. I'm not sure if it has one. I looked on both side of the fuel rail. Nothing. I gotta take a pic and show.
Old September 6th, 2018, 2:28 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rice
Fuel pump was a Delphi. The 2005 suburban 1500 don't have fuel filter it has a inline gas tank. I cant find the fuel pressure regulator. I'm not sure if it has one. I looked on both side of the fuel rail. Nothing. I gotta take a pic and show.
I believe that it is located on top of the gasoline tank, but dont quote me on that. Must be because of the single line F-I change over back then.
Old September 8th, 2018, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, this year of suburban has the new tanks no fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator. It's all in the fuel pump. I already replace the pump. Just don't know what to try. Keeps stalling