Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Help! Chevy Dealer Price too high! (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/help-chevy-dealer-price-too-high-47405/)

91Caprice December 29th, 2011 1:59 PM

$250 for light and install just doesn't seem that high to me....

73shark December 29th, 2011 3:01 PM

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl (Post 201317)
the 3rd brake light reduced rear-endings by almost 50% in it's first year.

LEDs are being used with increasing frequency in automotive lamps. They offer very long service life, extreme vibration resistance, and can permit considerably shallower packaging compared to most bulb-type assemblies. LEDs also offer a significant safety performance benefit when employed in stop lights, for when power is applied they rise to full intensity approximately 200 milliseconds (0.2 seconds) faster than incandescent bulbs. This fast rise time not only improves the attentional conspicuity of the stop lamp, but also provides following drivers with increased time in which to react to the appearance of the stop lamps.

I'm so sick of burned out tail lights, or broken ones, etc.

LEDs light faster, last longer.

.2 seconds at 75 MPH is a LOT of distance.. 22 feet. which is MORE than enough to save lives.

The effectiveness of passenger car CHMSL did not have a statistically significant downward trend during 1989-95. The average effectiveness in 1989-95 was 4.3 percent. It may be concluded that the lamps reached their long-term effectiveness level of 4.3 percent in 1989. Passenger car CHMSL were significantly more effective for the period 1987-88 than for 1989-95. The effect in 1987, 8.5 percent, was nearly double the long-term effect.

CHMSL EXEC.SUMMARY

All this shows is that one can usually find statistical support for either side of an argument. Or the old saw: Figures don't lie and liars figure.

BTW how many Ford models have LED tailites? Or for that matter, orange turn signals?

SabrToothSqrl December 30th, 2011 8:26 AM

Center

I wonder if that's effectiveness counting cars without it, or only cars with it.

For me anyway, it's a LOT easier to identify a braking car that has lights that are high and center.

I'm not sure about the Fords... my next one will hopefully be a X5 as my daily driver. The insurance was cost prohibitive last time I looked into it... 3 years ago... now it's only $10/month more...

Then I will use something bigger to tow with.... maybe a F-250

Sparky Sparks December 30th, 2011 9:58 AM

We have ordered one from eBay for $35...

(the best reply was to check the voltage)

My daughter & 2 granddaughters ride in the Subub daily. I want every possible safety device to work. Why pay over $250 for the part from the dealer when you can get one for under $50 on eBay?

in2pro December 30th, 2011 10:54 AM

Glad you found a reasonable alternative, please do let us know how it works out and how easy or hard it is to remove and install....a few pictures would be great too:cool: your follow up could save someone else some headaches...:)

Yeah we do sometimes get off topic and on tangents but it did bring to light the requirements or lack of, for 3rd brake light usage...

73shark December 30th, 2011 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky Sparks (Post 201450)
We have ordered one from eBay for $35...

(the best reply was to check the voltage)

My daughter & 2 granddaughters ride in the Suburb daily. I want every possible safety device to work. Why pay over $250 for the part from the dealer when you can get one for under $50 on eBay?

Sounds like you got a deal. Hope it's the correct one.

Agree on the safety aspect, just not convinced that they help that much. My stats are zero rear-end hits prior to 1986 and two since, both while I was stopped at a red lite and both were females. One actually started to go when the folks in the left turn lane started to go. :eek:

As John Wayne said, "Life's tough, it's a lot tougher if you're stupid." ;)

73shark December 30th, 2011 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl (Post 201439)

I'm not sure about the Fords... my next one will hopefully be a X5 as my daily driver. The insurance was cost prohibitive last time I looked into it... 3 years ago... now it's only $10/month more...

Then I will use something bigger to tow with.... maybe a F-250

Sounds like a plan. What I don't understand is, if you can afford an X5 and a F-250, why do you hang on to your POS Tahoe?

BTW on Corvette convertibles (and probably others), the CHMSL is just barely above the taillites.

Sparky Sparks December 31st, 2011 7:25 AM

the LED lightbar is a breeze to install...just two phillips head screws and the plug and you're there...bang...zoom!

SabrToothSqrl January 3rd, 2012 7:49 AM

cars

Because cars are a terrible investment, I made a terrible choice with my piece of $hit Tahoe, now I have to live with it until the wheels fall off... if I sold it now, I'd lose thousands.

of course, car math is interesting. Tahoe was $55,000 I expect it to last 10 years.

that's $5,500.00 / year. at the end of 10 years, when you factor in loan interest, the car is now basically worthless (ie it's worth 3k, but you spent 3k on interest) (I didn't, but just follow along).

So, buying a $55k car, lasting 10 years, you lose $5,500 / year. ($459 / month).

Here's what I'm thinking... buy a new car every 2 years, that only depreciates $10,000.00

You'd have a brand new car every 2 years, and spend LESS money, because the car would always be under warranty.

If you look at the true cost of vehicle ownership, it's just a money pit!

Tahoe, year ONE, you will BURN $11,450 in depreciation.

Year 2: $4,800.00

Total Cost to Own - 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ 4WD - Yahoo! Autos

So, now the hunt is on for a SUV that only depreciates 10k every 2 years...

anyway:

GM also screwed over the 'high mounted' part on another GM car... the old lumina minivan, this 'high mounted' light was BELOW the tail lights....

lol silly GM, thinks it can make cars.

At least the HMCSL.... was a better mandatory safety feature than the tire pressure monitor...

I'd rather have seen mandatory LED tail lights than that stupid thing.

73shark January 3rd, 2012 11:49 AM

A car/truck is not an investment. Two reasons, planned obsolescence and it is a piece of equipment that gets used up.

Kind of like a house. The only reason they sometimes increase in price (not value) over time is due to inflation, location, and/or supply.