Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Help! Service TC/Stabilitrak error (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/help-service-tc-stabilitrak-error-98713/)

lmasbury08 December 26th, 2019 8:50 PM

Help! Service TC/Stabilitrak error

I have a 2007 Suburban and for the last few days it has been shifting extremely rough when I'm nearly at a complete stop and when I accelerate from a complete stop, so I'm assuming first and second gears. Transmission really seems to be thumping when this happens and I have a Stabilitrak off /Service traction control/Service Stabilitrak warning. Luckily it hasn't completely broken down on me yet and it just comes and goes randomly. Anyone have suggestions on what it may be? Seems to be a pretty common problem and haven't been able to find a clear solution in other forms. I've seen everything from it needs a new sensor to change the fuel pump. I'd hate to spend thousands of dollars diagnosing it!

Christopher St.Louis September 22nd, 2020 6:37 PM

Solved.

Originally Posted by lmasbury08 (Post 440251)
I have a 2007 Suburban and for the last few days it has been shifting extremely rough when I'm nearly at a complete stop and when I accelerate from a complete stop, so I'm assuming first and second gears. Transmission really seems to be thumping when this happens and I have a Stabilitrak off /Service traction control/Service Stabilitrak warning. Luckily it hasn't completely broken down on me yet and it just comes and goes randomly. Anyone have suggestions on what it may be? Seems to be a pretty common problem and haven't been able to find a clear solution in other forms. I've seen everything from it needs a new sensor to change the fuel pump. I'd hate to spend thousands of dollars diagnosing it!

It will go away when your wheel bearings finally blow. That's what happened to me. I had an 07 Sierra with the same issues. The ABS and stabiltrac sensors are in the wheel bearing housing. After my bearings blew and I changed both fronts the issue magically went away. GM is notoriously known for bad wheel bearings and CV joints. Luckily they are cheap and fairly easy to replace.

Misty Marie September 22nd, 2020 6:44 PM

Originally Posted by lmasbury08 (Post 440251)

I had this same problem and my uncle replaced the fuel pump and the fuel pump control unit. Problem solved.

PNW NBS Z71 October 9th, 2020 9:26 AM

I would also be leaning toward the wheel bearings/hubs causing problems at the front wheel speed sensors. Inspect all wiring and for play in the hubs. That can damage the sensors. What codes do you have? Have you even checked for codes?

Christopher St.Louis October 10th, 2020 3:30 PM

Originally Posted by PNW NBS Z71 (Post 454256)
I would also be leaning toward the Wheel bearings/hubs causing problems at the front wheel speed sensors. Inspect all wiring and for play in the hubs. That can damage the sensors. What codes do you have? Have you even checked for codes?

Yup that's exactly what mine was. The front wheel bearings started going and at first it was intermittent as the first bearing blew apart it got constant. The ABS sensors are in the front bearings. If stabilitrac detects an error it will turn off and since it controls the engine to prevent spinning the tires you get that rough shift issue when it's off for some weird reason. If the bearings get bad enough your ABS will quit working as well. After changing the first front bearing everything was fine for a while then the issue came back. I checked the other front bearing and it was going. Changed it and it was fixed. The bearings are fairly cheap and not that hard to change if you have the right tools.

PNW NBS Z71 October 10th, 2020 4:18 PM

Do yourself a big favor and please do not replace the hub/bearing assemblies with cheap parts. I have always used either AC Delco or Timken for my rigs and when I ran shops it would be Timken or the OE factory sets. If you don't plan on keeping the rig and/or are selling it, then use the least expensive you feel comfortable with and get it gone. There is a company called Detroit Axle that sells crap, so stay away from them. Have heard many horror stories about their products.

rcorn1031 October 19th, 2020 2:54 PM

to rldavid

I am well aware that codes are not a definitive answer after trying to diagnose and repair a P0304 phantom code that was actually caused by a collapsed intake lifter in the afm system and since there was nearly 200K miles I OPTED to do a long block replacement .

The stibilitrak as well as airbag lights came on prior to the swap for no obvious reason .
I will keep in mind that others have had success by replacing front wheel bearings Mine were new in 2018.
The airbag light is a returned issue , The first instance was the front collision sensors .
This time not so .
I still find that scanners can help minimize the search .

Blazeddiamonds January 21st, 2021 10:54 AM

Solved on my car!

2008 Buick Enclave. Driving down road, all of a sudden car starts slowing down on it's own. Service Stabilitrac, Traction Control off, Service Engine Light blinking, occasionally the Reduced Engine Power would come on. Sometimes it would be okay if I stopped and killed engine for a few minutes. Kept on doing this Intermittently until it was continuous. Engine ran rough, sometimes it would jerk into another gear Driving down the road... hard shift outs. Replaced Throttle Body as that was what we were told that would fix it. No help. Changed spark plugs. Nope. Cleaned Mass Air Flow sensor.. NO. Cleaned various other sensors and hoses related to fuel.. nothing helped. 10 error codes were on. Cylinders 2,4,6 were affected by all of this. Autozone's computer said a timing chain would fix it. Im not that rich. So I sat down going thru forums and found out about a fault in the engine fuse box. One of the two 10mm bolts was loose. A little more research found GM had put out a service bulletin to their technicians. You can find it here, but read all the way to the bottom:
https://m.carcomplaints.com/news/202...problems.shtml
LONG story short, my son check my fuse box bolt and that was the problem. I don't know how to fully explain it but he said the bolt was over tightened to the point it was past the threads. So he backed the bolt out until the threads caught it. Instant fix! All codes vanished! Engine purring like a kitten. Only thing, light gray/almost white smoke poured out of the exhaust for a good 5 minutes after he fixed it. He's a diesel mechanic. Told me it was burning off all the carbon from cylinders 2, 4 and 6 not functioning correctly. It smelled like carbon burning where when I had cranked it earlier that day for the first time, you could see a tiny bit of exhaust and it smelled of gasoline. As the GM bulletin says, check those bolts on the fuse box BEFORE you do anything else! Might save you thousands of dollars and months of headaches. I certainly hope this helps someone. And please let us know if it fixes yours. It's great we can all troubleshoot together. Good luck!

rcorn1031 January 22nd, 2021 2:20 PM

not same issue as mine but thanks .

My issue started with Cyl 4 intake valve lifter being collapsed causing poor intake vacuum and resulting in rough idle and harsh upshifts in lower gears . After a short period of time the traction control system acted up along with the airbag warning light coming on . With neatly 200K miles I opted for remanufactured long block assy from Powertrain Companies .
Replaced long block and Engine runs great now and transmission shifts great .
Still have Traction control light and airbag light .

Am looking into newer scan tool that will allow me to view these Diagnostic trouble codes my current tool will not access . Some people say it’s my front wheel bearings , However I replaced them just over a year ago so not likely to be that . Still other sources say Steering Angle Sensor is widely known to trigger the Traction control fault .

Who knows for certain ? Not ME for sure but I believe I stand a better chance of correct repair with a proper DTC and further research as opposed to throwing parts at it .

I will prevail eventually .

Thanks for your input I will be sure to check those bolts . It sounds like your issue was a missing chassis ground in that fuse fanel derived using that loose bolt .

Blazeddiamonds January 22nd, 2021 3:05 PM

rcorn1031,
The codes would change on mine everytime I had it hooked up to the different code readers. The "better" reader basically said i was going to have to replace injectors or cylinders in so many words. And autozones said replace timing chain. That Service Stabilitrac warning is a catch all code it seems. Anything from throttle body, mass air flow sensor, wheel speed sensor, loose fuse box bolt, etc.. Sooo frustrating as you already know. I just didn't have the money to keep throwing it at the car. But that's what spurred me to research so much. I wish you luck and hope you find your problem soon.