Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Old March 16th, 2010, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer can't program out the theft lock

I have the same problem as the previous poster. Installed nav in my 07 sierra hooked up VSS and onstar. Powered it up and it came up with theftlock message. took it to the dealer for programming and they told me it was impossible. I did not have the lingo to argue with him. He said that the Tech II program has changed and it won't allow him to unlock the radio because the VIN for the truck did not originally include an Nav unit. I have called every service department in the Los Angeles area and no one seems to know how to program this thing. How is everyone doing this, the dealers tell me it is impossible. Thanks, Jim.
Old March 17th, 2010, 7:22 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

#PIT4007D: Radio Displays LOCKED After SPS Programming - (Aug 11, 2008)

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Radio Displays "LOCKED" After SPS Programming</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2009 Hummer H2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR>This PI was superseded tp update model years and text. Please discard PIT4007C.
<HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="#ss1-2178477">Condition/Concern:

Some technicians may find that after SPS programming a replacement radio the display will show "LOCKED" or "THEFT LOCK". The radio theft deterrent system disables radio functionality if the VIN information sent by the BCM does not match the vehicle VIN information contained in the radio. The radio compares its learned VIN information to the VIN learned in the BCM via GMLAN. If a radio is replaced or swapped from another vehicle the radio will need to relearn the VIN information before it will function. The radio learns the VIN information during the SPS programming event.
<A href="#ss2-2178477">Recommendation/Instructions:

Currently, some SPS programming events will NOT successfully learn the vehicles VIN information in the radio. Engineering is aware of this and working on a correction, however the following steps can be performed to resolve this condition if SPS programming does not unlock the radio:
  1. [*]
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old March 17th, 2010, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks a million

I will take this info to the dealer tomorrow. Thanks a million. Jim.
Old March 19th, 2010, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

step one is missing. can anyone let me know.
Old March 20th, 2010, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Line through GPS

I just installed a OEM nav system into my '09 tahoe. Every thing is working correctly except for the nav never finds my location and it has a red line through the GPS that is on the screen. This nav system came unlocked so i didnt have to get it unlocked and i have connected the VSS line. Im pretty sure the VSS is connected correctly because everything grays out when i go faster than ~5mph and the triangle on the nav screen moves when i move but it is no where near my location. I have placep the antenna on top of the dash so it is not being blocked by anything. So my question is do i still have to take it to a dealership to turn on the navigation part or am i missing something. Thanks for your help.
Old March 20th, 2010, 9:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your description of the issue sounds like the VSS wire is not connected correctly.
Old March 21st, 2010, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks RayRay, you were correct. I redid the VSS connection and it began to work correctly. Thanks.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

I added 2010 Nav and factory backup camera to my 09 LTZ as per the 2010 USB thread on this site. Nav was a takeout so it was locked.They tried to program it as a 10 and a 09 and couldn't get it.The 1st time they called GM the tech line said it wouldn't work.The second time they said it would probably work if I had bought a new one from them.They are going to try again Tomorrow with the Service bulletin on the 07+ trucks and Monte Carlo settings.A poster on the GM Trucks forum had the same issue as mine and they tried that and it unlocked it but only his clock worked .... his post is below............. any ideas.......????????
QUOTE (4ws_4wd_burb @ Mar 22 2010, 08:15 PM) I'm in the same boat. Bought a take-out off eBay and tried to have it programmed at dealer today. The "Monte Carlo" trick worked for clearing theftlock, but the tech gets an error when trying to program radio. All I have right now is a clock, nothing works yet. We are waiting for the engineering solution.......................No fears yet, the gm tech support got the same error trying to program a 2010 radio in a 2010 vehicle - could be a bad program in the Tech2 system. At least that is my hope.

Last edited by wysilverado; March 22nd, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old March 24th, 2010, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default My first impressions

Hi guys<O</O
I have a 07 nbs Avalanche LT2 or LT3?? With bose I installed a nav + gen6 lockpick + kenwood ccd2000 backup camera + factory bluetooth + hardwired my radar detector while I was at it.<O</O
<O</O

1st If you install factory bluetooth with the navigation you have to connect the voice recognition wires from the onstar or you will not be able to use the bluetooth. With the nav installed you hold the talk button till it beeps then say "onstar" it says (onstar ready) you say "blutooth" it says (bluetooth ready) without the voice wires connected it could not hear the bluetooth command it would go to help or say command not recognized.<O></O>
<O</O

2nd I read somewhere With the gen6 lockpick you do not have to hook the vss wire so I did not hook it up. Got the new Gm Nav Disc and so far so good its been 2-3 weeks now without a hicup always knows where i'm at & its been cloudy & raining most of the time. I do not live in a city & I've heard thats mostly what its for anyway (lost signal due to tall buildings) I will try to test that part in a couple of weeks. <O></O>
<O</O

I was lucky I bought my nav & camera off of ebay pluged it in no programming necessary everything worked!! I would not recommend installing everything at once like I did. I was very lucky if it had not of worked I would not have known where to start looking because I installed too much at once. Not all at once my bluetooth got here a week before everything else & I already installed it so I knew it worked.<O></O>

Last edited by shawnvw; March 25th, 2010 at 7:17 PM.
Old April 8th, 2010, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Good Morning guys,

Thanks for all the info, via this post. I have read it from 1st page to last....here is what I got going.

I have a 2009 Chevrolet Impala SS non-Bose 100% stock

What I have done to accomplish this mod is the following

added the AOEM-GM1416 to my stock non-Nav headunit (for the time being) to get the low level outs
ran 2 RCA's back to a Kicker 200.4 amp for F and R channel
Tapped the VSS wire in the engine compartment and ran to the back of the head unit (waiting for Nav unit install)

My next step is to connect power to the amp and run speaker wire from amp to each of the 4 speakers.

What I have questions or concerns with is......reading this topic some people talk about very loud chimes after adding aftermarket amp. First off is this true? (searching google heavy, seems to be?) Is it tolerable, and or able to be turned down via gain input? Tech II or other means? Just doesn't make sense to me because if they same chime to radio volume ratio is kept, just amped.....why would it be such an issue?

I have kinda stalled out with this project because of this concern. I have read other posts on this topic that they never mention this issue and that they have it working. (mkinder) (Negativex99) (VanDamme) Can anyone give light to this situation?

Last edited by winty03; April 8th, 2010 at 8:46 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe