Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

HVAC blows cold on warm setting

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2023, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC blows cold on warm setting

2005 Chevy Suburban
All of a sudden my suburban is blowing cold air when my temp is turned up to the highest setting in the 80s and blowing hot air when turned to the 60s. It's like the Temps are flip flopped. Was driving home when it happened then my water gage shot down to the lowest temp of 160. Idk what this could be. There is coolant in my car. Only thing that happened right before this was my car wouldn't start because the black cable was loose. Fixed that and now these other issues are coming about. Haven't got the black cable tightened all the way yet. Just made it home. Could that possibly be the issue? A bad connection with the battery?

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; August 10th, 2023 at 5:24 PM.
Old August 11th, 2023, 5:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised how common off an issue this seems to be. In your air conditioning system there are two small "radiators". One is always hot and the other is cold. What is called a "blend door" is the plastic piece that diverts air through one or the other, and the "blend door actuator" is the tiny motor that is likely your failure point that controls the blend door based on your temperature input.
This video shows the principle of how it works. At the beginning of this video he shows a test where you remove the actuator and move the blend door my hand to see if the blend door is OK. If the blend door is intact, order another actuator and install that one. Just make sure to line up the door with the new actuator.
Old August 11th, 2023, 6:44 AM
CF Beginner

How to Replace Door Actuator 00-06 Chevy Suburban - YouTube

This is the video for your specific vehicle on how to get to the actuator
Old August 11th, 2023, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Awesome!! Thank you. I'll look into getting that done today, and see if that corrects the issue. My water temp gauge is now working which is weird. The air is also now blowing correctly. Cold when on cold temp and hot when on hot temp. I'll get this changed out anyways just to be on the safe side.
Old August 11th, 2023, 10:15 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts

Samantha - I wouldn't just jump into a repair right now except your battery cable thing. I've experienced blend door actuator issue on our own 2005 Yukon, and shutting the engine off, then restarting it, re-set it. So possibly the battery cable thing is all the fix you need, try that first for a few days.

This is NOT a refrigerant level issue, don't let anyone touch that !!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Cusser:
Dylan2342 (August 11th, 2023), Rednucleus (August 11th, 2023), Samantharoth (August 11th, 2023)
Old August 11th, 2023, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

I'm assuming the cabel was the issue. I'll give it a couple days and see how it goes.
Old August 11th, 2023, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cusser
Samantha - I wouldn't just jump into a repair right now except your battery cable thing. I've experienced blend door actuator issue on our own 2005 Yukon, and shutting the engine off, then restarting it, re-set it. So possibly the battery cable thing is all the fix you need, try that first for a few days.

This is NOT a refrigerant level issue, don't let anyone touch that !!!
This is good, I must have read too quickly and didn't realize the whole situation. I concur on waiting a bit until the issue repeats. the best scenario is being able to confirm a cause of the issue instead of shotgun troubleshooting. if you don't experience the issue for a while I would not worry about it.