Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2005, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Problems

I own a 99 suburban 1500, 2wd, 5.7L. When I try to start it, the motor stops running when I let go ofthe key. I am leaning towards an electrical problem because itstarts fine and after it shuts off, I can hear the fuel pumprun for amoment longer, then shut off. I have checked the coil with an ohm meter, and the connections look clean and dry. It there a test for the coil driver? Any other ideas would be welcome.</P>
Old April 11th, 2005, 2:04 PM
Administrator

so, if the pump is running, it cant be the ignition switch, or at least would think...how long will it run before it dies?
Old April 11th, 2005, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

it dies immediately. Here is some additional info. The truck sat overnight in a heavy fog. I triedstarting the truck again after lunch (the sun had started reallywarming things up.) It started like nothing ever happened. Now I 'm really curious what is the cause. I have images of British Leyland vehicles that were truely fair weathercars and do not want the same infamous label for my suburban.</P>
Old April 13th, 2005, 5:48 PM
Administrator

perhaps an ignition module? i knwo GM has had some issues with those, and with coil/coil packs.
Old April 13th, 2005, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the feedback! Do you have a recommendation for trouble shooting or testing reference. I checked the coil per a Hayes Manual, but it didn't get too deep.
Old April 14th, 2005, 7:45 PM
Administrator

do you have any check engine lights on, or service engine soon lights? i would guess since it wont stay running that youre not sure...i would take it toa place like autozone or pepboys and see if they can scan it on an OBDII scanner..it should be free...
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

I have had a check engine light stay on randomly for a day or twothe last few months.But because the perforamce or reliabilty didn't appear to be effected, I figured I had an O2 sensor needing replacement soon.But I like your idea to check the error codes. It may not have registered one with it dying so quickly, but it won't hurt, and besides I can confirm if I have the O2 start to go. Thanks again.</P>
Old April 15th, 2005, 5:44 PM
Administrator

something else i would try...try cranking it while spraying starter fluid into the throttle body..if it stays running, you know that it is a fuel delivery issue somewhere along the line...it could even be that the pump is trying to work but isnt moving any fuel, in which case if you spray starter fluid in, it will run so long as you keep spraying in the fluid...but BE CAREFUL...STARTER FLUID IS EXPLOSIVE. this is soemthing that i would try when i wasa technician.</P>
Old January 22nd, 2006, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Ignition Problems

Hi guys.

I became frustrated with trying to get my OBDII codes by myself, so I bought a pretty inexpensive tool. I found a a pretty good web page (www.diydiagnostics.com). I ordered one of the scanners and was able to get the trouble code, fix my car, and shut off the engine light with it. It really worked well! Seems like a pretty good price at $54.99 plus about 4 bucks for shipping. The tool works great. It gives you more control over viewing/clearing codes than some others. Plus, it has a nice length cord so that you don't have to spend time with your head underneath your dashboard. It says it Works on 1996 and newer GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, and some others. No computer required. It also comes with a handy code booklet to tell you what the codes mean. Thought you might find it helpful....