Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Install switched power outlet 13 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2013, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install switched power outlet 13 Tahoe

I was surprised to discover that all of the factory power outlets in my 13 Tahoe are constant on. I want a switched outlet for my portable NAV so I don't have to unplug it each time I get out of the car. My plan is to install the outlet under the dash and then plug the NAV into it. I found the 2 power terminals in the distribution box near the brake pedal (1 constant and 1 switched) and attempted to connect the receptacle to the switched terminal. I get power but my NAV will not turn on. When I measure voltage at the switched terminal I am getting about 11.5V and I am getting just over 12V on the constant terminal. I plugged in a 2 way splitter that has an LED on it and the LED lights up, but no go for any device plugged in. The only thing that I can think of is that 11.5V is not enough for the NAV. Does anybody have any other ideas?

The only other thing that I can think to do is use a relay and connect it to the constant terminal and then used the switched terminal just to trigger the relay. I think it would work but is kind of a PITA.
Old May 4th, 2013, 1:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Are you reading the voltage with it unplugged? There could be something else in the circuit it is powering up. I assume that it works otherwise iafter you plug it back in the original plug in. I had an 2010 silverado company truck with a nuevia Garmin. One or two of the cigar lighters where switched. I don't think 11.5 volts is the problem with it not powering up.
Old May 5th, 2013, 8:00 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

This thread may help, I did the same thing but I wanted an always on plug that was concealed....
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...-gmt900-37253/
Old May 6th, 2013, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started checking that connector that you tapped (the one I was trying to use was the 4 pin that was below and to the right. It was tight to get up there and probe which pin might be hot with the switch and I arced across two terminals. Decided to call it quits for the day before I fried something in my fiance's new truck :-) I may try again at another point but for now, I will stick to just unplugging.