Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Interior NOISE problem

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2006, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior NOISE problem

Sorry I posted this under the wrong heading,here it is again

I really didnt notice when I bought this SUV any excessive noise from the cabin- but now my LTZ that I bought in November sounds like a whistling tea kettle with speeds over 35- Anyone else with the problem? i took it in and they said it was a known problem and they will replace the foam in the windows- I only hope it really will help- I have never had a car with such bad interior whistling sounds as this one.
HELP..... beyond this is there anything else to do??.. I keep my radio loud but I can still hear it!
[align=right]
[/align]
Old December 29th, 2006, 1:02 PM
davemec

Default RE: Interior NOISE problem

I had a whistling noise when going 35+ and it was coming from the driver side mirror. The dealership used some foam in the mirror according to a TSB they found and the noise is now gone.
Old December 29th, 2006, 6:45 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you turn your radio completely off, NOT just the volume down, does the whistle still occur?

Do you have factory navigation?

ONe other thing, if my heater/air conditioning is on HIGH, I get a whistling from that also. I dont know it is very weird.
Old December 30th, 2006, 2:05 PM
CF Junior Member

I have had the "tea kettle whistle" problem.... I found it to be a leak in the windshild sealant/goo in the upper right corner if you were looking out the window.... It would usually begin to occur around 50 and stop about 90mph.... very annoying sound! I had a local windshild repair shop come out and seal it....them coming to me was easier that going to the dealership. I sounded like it was coming from the air vents/dash area until my girlfriend put her ear up to the windshild and when she would apply a little presure on the windshild the sound would change...
Old December 30th, 2006, 2:24 PM
CF Active Member

The problem lies within the windshield. It's the glue that holds to the frame. You have a small hole in it. The glass is not cracked or defective, just the sealant has a small hole. I've had that same problem on my other truck and the fix is just to reseal the windshield. Hope this information helps.
Old December 31st, 2006, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the recommendation of what to do, itsreally annoying! how much did it cost you??
what do you tell them, if you dont know where the noise is coming from?
Old January 1st, 2007, 5:29 PM
CF Active Member

The cost is free. As long as its still under the factory warranty. If not I believe it would roughly cost you about $100 for them to reseal it. Not a bad price since its soo dam annoying.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 8:58 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem, turned out to be the urethane glue that seals the bottom of the windshield to the frame was not making contact with both surfaces. The noise was driving me crazy as I was unable to pinpoint the location myself - only really got annoying over 50 mph - finally got a dealer technician to ride with me & he popped off the top dash panel (the one with the round light sensor) & while I drove at speed he was able to locate the source of the noise immediately.