Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Issue with wipers, and courtesy fuse popping

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2011, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with wipers, and courtesy fuse popping

So, I have 2 different issues causing me to yank my hair out. Truck is a 92 Suburban C2500 454.

First, my wipers have a complete mind of thier own. Sometimes when switched to any position in the delay area, they go full blast hi by themselves, then when I turn the switch off, they continue marching on like soilders on roids, suddenly stopping when they feel like it. Sometimes they delay at random intervals no matter where the switch is in the delay area. And sometimes they just up & go on strike right in the middle of a swipe with the switch on. What the world could this be? Ive already replaced the switch on the steering column.

Second issue is the courtesey fuse (20 amp) pops randomly. Ive checked for shorts, and could find none. Wires look good. Ill stick one in, and it'll be peachy, then it'll literrally sound like a .22 round went off in my fuse box for no aparent reason. The courtesy fuse powers the dome lights, and radio from what I can tell. Is there a circuit im missing there? Would a faulty radio/ speakers cause this?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old November 9th, 2011, 7:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What I'd suggest on the courtesy lights, is this. Remove one of the bulbs from the system. Try that for awhile, if the problem is still there, replace bulb, and remove another ect. That hopefully will get you to which one is the problem. Wipers still sound like a switch to me.
Old November 10th, 2011, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

K. I'll fiddle with the bulbs at some point. Theres definetley something drawing way too much current. I stuck a 30 amp fuse in tonight and it got instanly hot before it popped.

Ill try another wiper switch, see if that helps. The replaced one is a u pull it special.

Thanks.
Old November 11th, 2011, 7:22 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If your courtesy light issue is that bad, Take out ALL the bulbs, see if the fuse pops. If not, with a 20 amp or size fuse it uses, insert bulbs one at a time till the fuse blows.
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

K. I'll try that. Thanks.