Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

looking at a 2007 suburban 2500 tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2012, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a 2007 suburban 2500 tomorrow

We have our eye on a 9 passenger 07 suburban 2500, 4:10 limited slip, 6.0L for our family of 6 that tow a travel trailer in the spring and fall for a couple weeks at a time and then daily driver for the wife the rest of the time.

I've done an awful lot (too much) reading about excursions, and have an F350 v10, but I'm not as up on the suburbans.

Is there common things to look at? Usual suspects? I see this oil consumption problem mostly with the smaller engines, but don't see anywhere that its not a problem with the 6.0L specifically... Any help would be appreciated.
Old December 25th, 2012, 8:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have previously owned 2 excursions, An 01 with the 7.3 powerstroke and an 05 with a 6.0 powerstroke. Niether of them can come close to the quality and feel of my 07 Suburban 2500. Be prepared for a stiffer then normal ride, but it is a 3/4 ton rig. I dont know anything about oil leaks with the 6.0 motor. mine now has 92,000 miles on it and uses no oil and leaks no fluids. There is one particular problem that i oncurred and was told it happens frequently on that motor: 3 Exhaust manifold bolts were broken however that was taken care of by the powertrain warranty.
Old December 25th, 2012, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

I've done the exhaust manifold stud mess on my ford v10, I was hoping to not have to deal with that again soon. We are used to a F350 ride, shoulder to shoulder, so lumber truck is the usual experience. Mostly I'm just wanting to not walk head first into anything obvious, like exhaust manifold bolts on the v10 or head gaskets on a 6.0L Ex. Pretty nervous but hoping to have this all settled soon.

thanks for the reply
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Check the inside door handles for sharp edges where the mold flash was not removed properly. They can cut your hand. Also check for the ubiquitous cracked dash.

Other than that, just check out all systems. Make sure it has the latest software updates installed. Make sure you can remove and install the third row seats. Since it's an '07, if it has nav, then it should have the second revision nav DVD since upgrades were free back then. Check rear window defogger, seat heaters, etc. Good luck. Let us know how you do.
Old December 26th, 2012, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

no nav or dvd, its a cloth LS 9 passenger, pretty plain. Does have the 12v plugs missing their covers it looks like from the pics which I understand is par for the course.

The little I can see of the dash in the pics I don't see a crack but we will see.

appreciate it, thanks
Old December 26th, 2012, 4:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kedn
no nav or dvd, its a cloth LS 9 passenger, pretty plain. Does have the 12v plugs missing their covers it looks like from the pics which I understand is par for the course.

The little I can see of the dash in the pics I don't see a crack but we will see.

appreciate it, thanks

Mine had no Nav. either. mines an LT. I had a kenwood nav system installed. As far as the broken exhaust studs, i dont know where you live however the service manager told me there is a bigger chance of the bolts breaking in a severe winter climate area like where i'm at.
Old December 26th, 2012, 7:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kedn
Does have the 12v plugs missing their covers it looks like from the pics which I understand is par for the course.
Only par if the PO treated it like a rental. I'd go over this beast w/ a fine tooth comb.

BTW, the cloth interiors on the '07s had a reputation as a lint magnet. It was so bad that some were warrantied w/ a new interior.
Old December 26th, 2012, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Got there and after 1.5 hours we left without seeing it. First they thought it was on a test drive maybe, then finally figured out the CFO took it on vacation and its gone for another week... 5 hours in the car but at least we left the kids at home so it was some rare quiet time.

They said they would deliver it but of course I wouldn't sign anything sight unseen. Needless to say I'm a bit frustrated. But its the only one I can find in the state like I want at the moment. Oh well.
Old December 27th, 2012, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Since my fun yesterday I've expanded my search area and ran into some 2008 3/4 ton suburbans with the 6-speed trans for similar money. I can't seem to find much about the difference, would it be advisable to pursue one just for the trans difference?
Old December 27th, 2012, 9:33 PM
Administrator

Probably and it's a little less likely to suffer from the cracked dash syndrome altho not immune. Not sure when they incorporated the new design. But I don't think the 6-spd came out 'til the 2009 model year. But don't know about the 2500s. It's easy to tell as the selector will show PRNDM. And there will be pseudo paddle shifter on the gear shift lever.

Quick Reply: looking at a 2007 suburban 2500 tomorrow