Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Looking to buy 2000-2005 suburban or tahoe (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/looking-buy-2000-2005-suburban-tahoe-93850/)

Collkid January 12th, 2019 12:53 AM

Looking to buy 2000-2006 suburban or tahoe

Hello!

*title should be 2000-2006

Im new to Chevy. But not new to cars.
I did have a 1990 K5 a few years back and loved it.

Anywat. Wife and I have a 6 month old and the 2001 Toyota 4Runner is just too small. Once you pack baby gear/dog/camping supplies/friends. You run out of room quick.

So. I’m looking to get either a Tahoe or suburban.
Though I would prefer a Tahoe, it seems they are generally more expensive than suburbans in my area. (South of denver, CO)

so. What should I look for?
I would LOVE a 2500 burb just for the fun of it. I also figure someone who has a 2500 MIGHT have taken better care of it.

We we are looking to break even in this deal. As it sits, the 4Runner is worth 5,000 or so.

1. What should I look for?
2. What weak points do these trucks have?
3. How many miles is toooooo many?
4. What usually causes these things to die?

Tell me everything oh professionals of the mighty burban!

oilcanhenry January 13th, 2019 9:37 PM

Originally Posted by Collkid (Post 369020)
Hello!

*title should be 2000-2006

Im new to Chevy. But not new to cars.
I did have a 1990 K5 a few years back and loved it.

Anywat. Wife and I have a 6 month old and the 2001 Toyota 4Runner is just too small. Once you pack baby gear/dog/camping supplies/friends. You run out of room quick.

So. I’m looking to get either a Tahoe or suburban.
Though I would prefer a Tahoe, it seems they are generally more expensive than suburbans in my area. (South of denver, CO)

so. What should I look for?
I would LOVE a 2500 burb just for the fun of it. I also figure someone who has a 2500 MIGHT have taken better care of it.

We we are looking to break even in this deal. As it sits, the 4Runner is worth 5,000 or so.

1. What should I look for?
2. What weak points do these trucks have?
3. How many miles is toooooo many?
4. What usually causes these things to die?

Tell me everything oh professionals of the mighty burban!

Depends on how well the owner took care of it. I'd take Scotty Kilmer's advice and have a good mechanic look it over before I bought it, unless you are good at mechanics.

A pro is going to have things most non-pros have, like lots of experience, lots of expensive equipment, but in the long run a professional mechanic could save you money.

Either way, I hope you have enough &&& in the bank to fuel up these rigs. They are not very light. Me, I am a pickup man, but only use it off-roading and out to the dumps.

intheburbs January 14th, 2019 4:25 PM

I would look 2004-2006. 2003 was the mid-life refresh, and a few '03s had electrical gremlins.
Can't understand why a Tahoe would be more expensive than a Suburban - the Suburban is larger and generally has heavier duty bits on it.
The 2500 Suburbans of that vintage are unicorns. If you find one that's not been beat to snot with a gajillion miles on it, you'll pay quite a hefty premium for it, probably much more than KBB or NADA would say.
If you're looking Tahoe, the 5.3 is the better motor. All Suburbans have the 5.3.
Not many weak points, pretty solid trucks. Problem areas are fuel pump, window regulator, A/C system, wheel bearings/hubs (one piece units), exhaust manifold gaskets, rust. My buddy owns my '01, it has 260k miles on it, and still original engine and transmission.

monstershow January 7th, 2020 4:31 AM

I would go with a Suburban or Yukon XL. The 18" of extra room is a lot when hauling materials or a family on a 1200 mile trip.