Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   low oil light - stop engine but oil level OK (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/low-oil-light-stop-engine-but-oil-level-ok-61471/)

cdcpedroso November 1st, 2013 6:11 PM

low oil light - stop engine but oil level OK

this started a couple of days ago. No engine sounds, all of the sudden "low oil -stop engine" warning comes on. Turned off car, checked oil- oil level was just fine, started it again, message was gone, but check engine light came. Pep Boys said to go to dealership, cause they don't think is the sensor. Started car today, no oil warning light, just check engine light is on. oil pressure at 40, then started driving went down to 20 and it lowered to 10 when at stop light. This afternoon the low oil level-stop the car message came on again. Stopped the car, checked oil level (was ok), but I noticed that there was a bit smokey by oil cap, then again it could have been from when I dropped some oil thinking that I neeeded some. Waited a little bit, started again, oil light is not on, just check engine light. I've read the forums and it could be the seals, the sensor, the oil pump, or change the oil and change the filter, so it could be from $30 to $1,000 job. Can't take the car in until Monday, so I need some help right now.

Tech November 3rd, 2013 11:52 AM

Make/Model/Year would help. But it could be oil level sensor/pressure sensor or it could be wiring issue. Also can be oil pump aerating oil. You'll have to take it in to dealer. Only way of knowing for sure.

cdcpedroso November 4th, 2013 8:25 AM

It's a 07 suburban, 4x4, 1500

Chevrolet Customer Service November 4th, 2013 9:56 AM

cdcpedroso,

Have you had a chance to drop your Suburban off to the dealership? If you would like some assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Tech November 4th, 2013 11:31 PM

Best start is a fresh oil change and monitor oil pressure as you are doing. If it still drops I'd take it in for sure. I'd be thinking a pickup or oil pump problem aerating oil.

cdcpedroso November 5th, 2013 6:03 PM

I took it in to dealership and they replaced the oil sending unit. So far so good -- "cross fingers"

Tech November 5th, 2013 7:27 PM

Glad they fixed that for you. I've never seen those fail like that where they gradually show a decline in oil pressure. I just learned something too then and have other things to keep in mind when and if ever one like this comes through dealer.

Chevrolet Customer Service November 5th, 2013 8:20 PM

Originally Posted by cdcpedroso (Post 260574)
I took it in to dealership and they replaced the oil sending unit. So far so good -- "cross fingers"

We appreciate the update, and glad to hear your dealership was able to fix this. Keep us posted and if you would like our assistance in the future feel free to send us a PM.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Laura Winters March 21st, 2017 10:20 AM

help please

Originally Posted by cdcpedroso (Post 260574)

How much did this cost? Thanks!

{tpc} March 27th, 2017 8:58 AM

I too wonder what they would charge. I replaced my sensor myself, and the part was about $30 I think, and not the easiest thing to do. I spent about 2 hours on it. If I did it again I could probably do in an hour. But it would be interesting to know what a dealer would get for this.