Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Low Oil Pressure warning (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/low-oil-pressure-warning-41924/)

Subur2023 April 19th, 2011 10:26 PM

Low Oil Pressure warning

I'm new to the forum and I just purchased a used 2008 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT. Drove the SUV for perhaps a 1000 miles currently have 11600 miles on the SUV and the low oil pressure warning came on saying shut off engine. My question is this normal for a Suburban with11600 miles to have a low oil pressure problem. Checked the oil and level is fine, no engine noise either . Had a certified ASE mechanic check out the problem and he seems to think the engine is bad internally?? I didn't drive the SUV when the warning light came on. Should I have the mechanic change the oil pressure sensor and change the oil and use 10w-40 instead of 5w-30?
Has anyone else had this problem and I'm not under the GM warranty anymore. The previous owner added some after market gadget on the SUV to get more mpg and that I was told wiped out the warranty??

Please help

73shark April 19th, 2011 11:30 PM

Welcome to the forum.

First, the 5W30 is fine even if it's synthetic. Did the mechanic check the oil pressure w/ a mechanical gauge? By "the engine is bad internally", does he mean the oil pump is shot or something else?

What was the aftermarket gadget that the PO added?

Subur2023 April 20th, 2011 2:28 PM

Yes he used gauges and also put on a new oil pressure sensor and still zero oil pressure. I'm not sure what type of backwoods device they installed. It was
some small aluminum device with numbers on it thats suppose to add more mpr. We all know those things don't work. looks like I'll need another engine. If anyone know where I can buy a low mileage engine for a 2008 Chevy Suburban 5.3 please let me know. The current bad engine has 11500 miles on it.

Chevrolet Customer Service April 21st, 2011 11:16 AM

Subur2023, have you yet tried speaking with our Customer Assistance team about the issues you are having? They would be able to work with you and the dealership towards a resolution. If you would like I can setup a case for you. Just direct message me your contact information and I will handle it from there. I hope you are able to get this fixed.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

in2pro April 21st, 2011 11:51 AM

I'm guessing you meant to put an extra zero behind those mileage numbers, meaning you have 115,000 miles and not 11,500... I think I'd put my money behind a new oil pump first before dropping 5k on a new engine....
New oil pump is less then $100.

73shark April 21st, 2011 9:33 PM

On these engines w/o a distributor, do they drive the oil pump off the cam or something else?

Subur2023 April 22nd, 2011 5:46 PM

Thanks Jeff

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service (Post 179349)
Subur2023, have you yet tried speaking with our Customer Assistance team about the issues you are having? They would be able to work with you and the dealership towards a resolution. If you would like I can setup a case for you. Just direct message me your contact information and I will handle it from there. I hope you are able to get this fixed.

Jeff how or what information do you need to assist with my case. I must admit I'm surprised with a newer SUV with 11,600 miles to have this issue. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Please advise.

in2pro April 22nd, 2011 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 179394)
On these engines w/o a distributor, do they drive the oil pump off the cam or something else?

Runs off the crank..

@Subur2023, wow nice find for an 08 with less than 12k miles....
as CCS suggested I think I would get it in and see what coverage you might be eligible for...

shamrock246 April 25th, 2011 7:05 AM

is the oil pressure relief valve suck open?

Sean
97 4x4 burb

Chevrolet Customer Service April 25th, 2011 8:27 AM

Originally Posted by Subur2023 (Post 179447)
Jeff how or what information do you need to assist with my case. I must admit I'm surprised with a newer SUV with 11,600 miles to have this issue. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Please advise.

The information I would need would be your name, address and phone number. If you could send this to me I would be able to set you up with a case today and one of our agents would give you a call within 2 business days. I hope this helps.