Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Unique Backup Camera Problem

Old June 3rd, 2013, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unique Backup Camera Problem

I backed up boat to launch the other day, and forgot to unplug my trailer wires. Needles to say, I had a short, and popped some fuses under the hood that control my trailer lights. That was an easy fix. Now for the interesting problem, and It may or may not be related. It may just be a coincidence.

My backup camera now shows an image, but scrolls the image from bottom to top, like an old school TV. Occasionally it will stabilize out for a minute or so, but then starts scrolling again.

I took it to my dealer, and they had to contact the chevy engineers, who had never heard of that problem. The dealer began to check all the connections leading from the camera, up to the headliner and stopped. They didnt find anything, and called saying it was going to be atleast $300 for them to follow the wire up any farther.

WTF could be causing this? Dealer seems to think my camera **** the bed. Can i just buy an aftermarket replacement camera and pop it in? Or does it have to be the factory OEM camera?
Old June 3rd, 2013, 4:45 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I'd check GMPartsDirect to see what the OEM camera is... If you know someone else that has the same similar setup barrow their camera as a process of elimination...
Old June 3rd, 2013, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

I looked up the OEM camera replacement, and its like $250 - $300. Im seeing cameras that look similiar for much less, but im not sure they have the required harness to connect to factor wiring in the tailgate. the dealer will not refund me for a new camera if it ends up not being a faulty camera in the first place.
Old June 12th, 2013, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

I installed an ebay backup camera 170 degree view and night vision for less than $25. Works great with the stock NAVI. Should be able to just splice into existing wires. (that I have not tried). I ran positive and negative to the reverse lights and the video cable to the NAVI thru the side & floor panels. You're gonna have to test which wires are what, unless you have a pinout of that harness. That'll save you a bunch of monies.
Old June 12th, 2013, 8:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

did any water get into the camera lens assembly? Was wondering if the image is refracting through water moving in the lens assembly?
Old June 12th, 2013, 9:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would give crutchfield a call. they supply many aftermarket backup cameras. and can definately tell you what would work. they are a bit more pricey than ebay but they offer lifetime tech support that is top notch! and well worth the premium! and will walk you through the installation step by step! A+ in my book. I have no affiliation with them but highly recommend them
Old June 13th, 2013, 3:44 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 07 Backup Camera PinOut

attached captures

PDF includes back up sensors as well...
Attached Thumbnails Unique Backup Camera Problem-capture1.jpg   Unique Backup Camera Problem-capture2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
07 rear view camera.pdf (571.6 KB, 1841 views)