Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Nbs Tahoe and suburban alignment question

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2012, 12:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nbs Tahoe and suburban alignment question

Is there a trick to getting a good alignment on a nbs Tahoe or suburban?
I installed the michelin ltx ms2 on a 2012 Tahoe and 2013 suburban. I had them aligned at 2 different shops and both times for both vehicles, the steering wheel does not sit straight. It needs to go over at least half an inch to the right.

Tires are 275 55r 20 on 5 spoke Chevy rim

Last edited by blueinterceptor; December 24th, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old December 24th, 2012, 9:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting the steering wheel straight is something related directly to the guy who did the alignment. You need to take it back to them, or, find another Shop, who won't let an error like that get out the door.
Old December 24th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find a competent alignment shop. Setting the steering wheel/ toe is the easiest angle to set on alignment. If they can not do that correctly how good os the rest of the alignment. Are you sure you are not turning the wheel crooked to compensate for a pull to the left. Let the wheel go does it sit straight but the truck goes left? You may have a tire pull or a bad caster adjustment. Switch the front tires side to side does any thing change?
Old December 24th, 2012, 8:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

please tell me they are doing a 4 wheel alignment and not a 2 wheel alignment.

If you look at your alignment printout, it will show alignment numbers for the rear if they are doing a 4 wheel alignment.

Are the factory original plastic alignment knockouts still in the upper control arm eccentrics?

Last edited by tech2; December 24th, 2012 at 8:04 PM.
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:08 PM
CF Senior Member

they have done a four wheel alignment. all indicators including the toe are in the green. but the steering is always a little off. as is the sweet spot. it is very noticeable on the highway.

i have brought it to the dealer, they so far have been the best but its still off.
i have not switched the front tires. what does that do anyway? i really dont know.
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tahoe and Suburban have solid rear axles and are not 4 wheel alignment capable. No way anyone could do a "4 wheel alignment"
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Tahoe and Suburban have solid rear axles and are not 4 wheel alignment capable. No way anyone could do a "4 wheel alignment"
If you do a 2 wheel alignment on any vehicle it aligns the front toe setting to a geometric centerline not the true thrust angle. A mistake that will cause off- center steering wheels if the thrust angle is out.

2 wheel alignments should never be done at any alignment shop.

You do a 4 wheel alignment to properly set the front toe to the rear thrust angle

Last edited by tech2; December 24th, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blueinterceptor
they have done a four wheel alignment. all indicators including the toe are in the green. but the steering is always a little off. as is the sweet spot. it is very noticeable on the highway.

i have brought it to the dealer, they so far have been the best but its still off.
i have not switched the front tires. what does that do anyway? i really dont know.
I just want to verify your concern. the vehicle drives straight but the steering wheel is off-center? There is no pull, correct?

When did the off-center conditons start? After the first alignment/tires?

Any lifts or blocks on the vehicle or is it stock?

Last edited by tech2; December 24th, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old December 25th, 2012, 12:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Stock vehicle

Vehicle goes straight but steering is off center

Condition occurred after installation of tires and first alignment

The one thing that seems common, is the shops machines seem to compare the new tires to the
Specs for the Alenza's. 275 55r 20's

Last edited by blueinterceptor; December 25th, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old December 25th, 2012, 8:48 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree that the alignment issue has to do with the person that did it. I adjusted the T-bars on my 2500 to get full level, i put on 265 tires that are not offered on a 2500 then i put on KMC enduro wheels with zero offset that are wider then the stockers and gave me a slightly wider track up front. I took it to the dealership for alignment. It tracks dead straight with the wheel perfectly centered. I'm not crazy about dealership labor rates but they do ALL the work on my burb.

Quick Reply: Nbs Tahoe and suburban alignment question