Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Radio issue on 08 burban

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2018, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio issue on 08 burban

I have a weird one here .

My 08 burban, 6.0L.....When i start the truck the radio has no display or anything and doesn't play. After some driving or if i hit a big pothole the radio will come on, and then every pothole after, the radio will reset back to the first station preset and the clock back to 12:00. When it comes on all my prests are saved in the radio though but the time is alway 12:00

Any thought?

PS.....Does anyone know where i can find a wiring diagram for the radio power wires, back to their source, to see if there is a partly broken wire. I took the radio out the other morning and the wire harness behind it looked fine and there was no power coming into the harness so I'm wondering if i have a short further downstream, but i cant find a diagram to help trace the wire.

Thanks all
Old November 2nd, 2018, 7:21 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by mpjman
I have a weird one here .

My 08 burban, 6.0L.....When i start the truck the radio has no display or anything and doesn't play. After some driving or if i hit a big pothole the radio will come on, and then every pothole after, the radio will reset back to the first station preset and the clock back to 12:00. When it comes on all my prests are saved in the radio though but the time is alway 12:00

Any thought?

PS.....Does anyone know where i can find a wiring diagram for the radio power wires, back to their source, to see if there is a partly broken wire. I took the radio out the other morning and the wire harness behind it looked fine and there was no power coming into the harness so I'm wondering if i have a short further downstream, but i cant find a diagram to help trace the wire.

Thanks all
Might be the radio itself that has an internal issue. Could be corrosion, but likely a bad ground or power wire issue.
Old November 5th, 2018, 12:09 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM uses a data signal to turn on the radio, not just a wire on/off. While it could be wiring, you may need a new headunit...
Old November 7th, 2018, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
GM uses a data signal to turn on the radio, not just a wire on/off. While it could be wiring, you may need a new headunit...

I did try a used radio that i got off eBay and when i installed it, it wouldn't even go on or show the time. I know for the radio to have worked it would need the truck to be relfashed, but it didnt show an error message