Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

OK I need help guys ASAP....

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2012, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK I need help guys ASAP....

Ok so I bought a 1999 Suburban with 140,XXX miles on it. It ran good but today I looked at the mileage and it says 250,XXX. Is this some type of faulty Dash unit or is this some type of mileage "rollback" done by someone to this truck? Only had it for a month so I didnt put 110,000 miles on it.. So any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be necessary to use a Tech2 scan tool to check, but I'd bet your truck has had the instrument cluster replaced with a used unit.

The cluster was not programmed to match the Body Control Module, and you needed enough drive cycles (X number of miles at X speed, X times) until the BCM overrode the previous reading and replaced it with the accurate mileage for the truck.

Or, the opposite could have happened; the BCM was replaced, and overrode the mileage shown on the cluster with the mileage from the truck the BCM came out of.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

So if the cluster was changed out and it had 140,xxx but the actual miles was 250,xxx then after awhile it would skip to 250,xxx automatically?

*EDIT*

If thats the case then thats a clear case of mileage tampering and is against the law correct?

Last edited by BlackBryer25; March 2nd, 2012 at 8:42 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 9:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBryer25
So if the cluster was changed out and it had 140,xxx but the actual miles was 250,xxx then after awhile it would skip to 250,xxx automatically?
You definitely want to have that checked out! You would need to gain access to the computer in order to get an accurate reading. As OnBelay said, you will most likely need to use a scan tool.

If thats the case then thats a clear case of mileage tampering and is against the law correct?
It depends on your State, but in most cases yes. You would have to do some research though on your specific State Laws and DMV Regulations. It could fall under the lemon law, false advertisement, or any other number of laws regarding the sale of motor vehicles.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

how or who could i go to to get it check with the scan tool?

Last edited by BlackBryer25; March 2nd, 2012 at 9:32 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 9:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how or who could i go to to get it check with the scan tool?
Some local mechanic shops have access to them, but most likely you will need to have a GM/Chevy dealership check it out. You just want to be sure before you go "guns blazing" into wherever/whoever you bought the vehicle from.

I would still like to believe that this could be a bad/inoperative gauge cluster, but without knowing the actual mileage of the vehicle, I cannot confirm this. Good Luck!!
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

So what exactly do I say when I go to one?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 3:07 AM
CF Beginner

Ok also i fail to mention.....that i believe the cluster unit needed to be replace since i got it because the gas hand shakes back and forth really fast when the truck is on.... i read that the cluster would need to be replace since its the gas gauge motor is going out..... i only added this to help with what could be the problem..
Old March 3rd, 2012, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Possibly

Not necessarily. Did the title show a mileage when you purchased the truck? Do a Google search on "Federal Truth In Mileage Act" and your state, and you may find that the vehicle in question is "mileage exempt".

Ok also i fail to mention.....that i believe the cluster unit needed to be replace since i got it because the gas hand shakes back and forth really fast when the truck is on.... i read that the cluster would need to be replace since its the gas gauge motor is going out..... i only added this to help with what could be the problem..

The fuel level sending unit is part of the fuel pump assembly on this truck. There is no "motor" to run the gas gauge. The most common reason to replace a cluster is because they will break a solder joint and one or more parts of the cluster will stop functioning. A vibrating level needle on the gas gauge is usually caused by an electrical malfunction such as a bad connector. If the cluster has a problem the gauge will usually not work at all.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

So what exactly do I say when I go to one?
"I recently purchased this truck and the odometer went from 140,000 miles to 250,000 miles. It also has a jumpy gas gauge. Can you help me figure out why?" It is also suggested that you tell them any other relevant symptoms. You don't need to tell them "my friend told me this and the guy on thee internet said that..." because this is not all that uncommon of a problem.

Also, you don't need to go to a dealership to find a shop with a Tech 2 scan tool. Call around and ask. If you talk to a good shop that doesn't have one, they will be able to recommend one that does. A dealership tech is going to be able to do this, but it is more likely that an independent shop will have a great deal of experience with this age/body of truck.

Quick Reply: OK I need help guys ASAP....