Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

OK I need help guys ASAP....

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OnBelay
The fuel level sending unit is part of the fuel pump assembly on this truck. There is no "motor" to run the gas gauge. The most common reason to replace a cluster is because they will break a solder joint and one or more parts of the cluster will stop functioning. A vibrating level needle on the gas gauge is usually caused by an electrical malfunction such as a bad connector. If the cluster has a problem the gauge will usually not work at all.
Yes there is a stepper motor on the '99 fuel gauge.

The fuel gauge flutter seems to be fairly common on the '98 & '99. May be the motor, electrical interference or the wiring or grounds, maybe even the fuel pump or gauge itself. Most likely, the reason the cluster might have been swapped.
Old March 6th, 2012, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... So I spent the weekend and Monday going to shops and calling (even Chevy Dealers) and they all say they cant tell the actual mileage of the truck since its a 99 and had the old manual mileage reader.... When asked if they could think of a reason why it jumped 100,000 miles... and everyone is stomped... so now im back to square 1....

So my next question is .... is there anyway to see if the cluster had been tampered with?