Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Intermittent Radio

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2018, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Radio

After searching this site and others I still haven't had any luck. I have a 2008 ls suburban 2500. The radio will be working fine and then just cut out. The display on the radio goes blank, but the buttons are still illuminated. No sound at all. Sometimes I can take the fuse out and wait a minute and it will work again, but that doesn't always work. A few times it just came back on as I was driving. When it cuts out, it completely cuts out, so I don't think it the speakers. It is also the base model, no bose,no xm, no onstar. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:32 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by senorschmidt
After searching this site and others I still haven't had any luck. I have a 2008 ls suburban 2500. The radio will be working fine and then just cut out. The display on the radio goes blank, but the buttons are still illuminated. No sound at all. Sometimes I can take the fuse out and wait a minute and it will work again, but that doesn't always work. A few times it just came back on as I was driving. When it cuts out, it completely cuts out, so I don't think it the speakers. It is also the base model, no bose,no xm, no onstar. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Sounds like a short.....or a radio going south.
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Sounds like a short.....or a radio going south.
My guess is a short in the unit itself somewhere. I went a played with all the wires again and if it does it again, I'll just replace the head unit.
Old August 8th, 2018, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Wouldn't it blow a fuse if it was a short? Sounds more like a bad connection someplace. Has any work been done on the electrical system under the dash or other places recently?
Old August 8th, 2018, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Wouldn't it blow a fuse if it was a short? Sounds more like a bad connection someplace. Has any work been done on the electrical system under the dash or other places recently?
None that I know of. I have only had the truck for a year. I am pretty sure it was a government fleet vehicle of some sort (border patrol?). I bought it from a dealer in Arizona. I am pretty sure there was some front end damage that was repaired, but I don't know to what extent the damage was. It only started recently though. Maybe there is a loose ground?
Old August 8th, 2018, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

If it was a government vehicle prior to you owning it, do you know if it had any aftermarket lighting systems installed? If so, somebody was probably under the dash and under the hood mucking around the wiring.
Old August 8th, 2018, 11:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
If it was a government vehicle prior to you owning it, do you know if it had any aftermarket lighting systems installed? If so, somebody was probably under the dash and under the hood mucking around the wiring.
Excellent point. I hadn't considered that. I have no idea it was actually from, but it did have numbers on the top. I haven't seen anything that looked out of place, but who knows!