Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Paint warranty (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/paint-warranty-1886/)

BigMain July 13th, 2006 3:23 AM

Paint warranty

Anyone know how long chevy warranty is on paint? Clearcoat below driver door peeling.
Dealer here in MS said only to 36k.

Nomad76lj July 13th, 2006 5:48 PM

RE: Paint warranty

sould have all that info when you bought the car. i know its not usualy that long though.

phoenixcorvette September 30th, 2006 9:46 PM

12 months or 12,000 miles which ever happens first..

jasonw75 October 1st, 2006 2:40 PM

http://www.chevrolet.com/warranty/

According to the Chevy Warranty page you should be covered!!

6 Years or 100,000 Miles whichever comes first.

After reading a little further it says it has to "rust through" for them to cover it.

Rick Cox April 17th, 2016 8:37 PM

Been through the same ringer.

I have a 2013 Silverado I bought new in chattanooga tn and will never buy another. It had 24000 miles and the paint started peeling on the roof at the window and down both water channels and brown spots started showing up all over the truck and tailgate. The deal tried to tell me some b/s acid rain chemical fallout must have caused it. Then they informed me I was too late anyway since they only guarantee paint for 12000 miles. Funny, I don't see any Toyota's a year old missing paint with chemical spots. Wife actually brought home a 2016 malibu home on a test drive and I told her to take that crappie back first thing in the morning. GM's customer let me leave a message with the area service advisor "if that is even a real position" and still have never got a call back.

tech2 April 17th, 2016 10:31 PM

the warranty coverage is all detailed in your service manual. dealerships where I have worked have been pretty good about this. replacing peeling rims, bubbled bumpers and rust on plastic chrome parts and door moldings.

if the source of the peeling is from road rash or impact your out of luck. the best bet is your selling dealer. Maybe try another dealer.

scotrinaf April 18th, 2016 6:15 AM

If you have a new vehicle that is peeling, this would indicate that it received damage during transport and had to be repaired. This is actually pretty common and typically the damage is very minor like a flying rock dinged the paint job, but anything other than factory paint just won't last sadly... I'd take it to the dealer and make them fix it...

SusanCooksey May 3rd, 2016 12:46 PM

I have a 2003 Chev Tahoe and the clear coat has been peeling away from the paint for the last 5-6 years. What I have left is a black Tahoe that looks like it has big road salt stains all over it. I've had a couple estimates from body shops to repaint it but because they have to manually sand off all the remaining clear coat - the estimates have been quite pricey ($4,500-$6,000). It's still a reliable vehicle and the interior is in amazing shape but the exterior really looks bad. I've noticed a large number of other GM models on the road and in parking lots with the same problem so this might be a condition that has enough merit to bring a class action suit against GM. I hope anyone who is having a similar issue will check back over the next few weeks more information on my class action research.

cleveland63b May 3rd, 2016 10:03 PM

hard to blame GM for something that can be considered a wearable item on a 13yr old vehicle, clear coat and paint are just like anything else it does take alittle bit of maintenance to keep it at its best.

I honestly don't see very many vehicles around here with paint issues so it may be a climate related thing too. My mom has an 01 Silverado that's flawless but she also washes regularly and waxes it by hand probably twice a year.

econoautopainting December 8th, 2016 1:12 PM

Originally Posted by SusanCooksey (Post 321286)
I have a 2003 Chev Tahoe and the clear coat has been peeling away from the paint for the last 5-6 years. What I have left is a black Tahoe that looks like it has big road salt stains all over it. I've had a couple estimates from body shops to repaint it but because they have to manually sand off all the remaining clear coat - the estimates have been quite pricey ($4,500-$6,000). It's still a reliable vehicle and the interior is in amazing shape but the exterior really looks bad. I've noticed a large number of other GM models on the road and in parking lots with the same problem so this might be a condition that has enough merit to bring a class action suit against GM. I hope anyone who is having a similar issue will check back over the next few weeks more information on my class action research.

Hey Susan, I know this comment is more than 6 months old, but if you haven't had your Tahoe painted and Econo has a location near you (you can check our website in my signature) I am sure our quote would be way less than what you've been quoted at a standard collision shop. Probably half....just throwing out a possible solution, of course we are only in 7 states so hopefully we are nearby.