Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2007, 11:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!!!

I just purchased an 2007 Tahoe LT1. It does not have the Bose system in it. I want to upgrade to a Nav. System, but do not want to spend an arm and a leg. I was wondering if this unit on Ebay will go in with no problems, and what other parts I will need besides this head unit. The link to the unit is http://cgi.ebay.com/7-CAR-DVD-GPS-NA...QQcmdZViewItem. I know I should spend more money and go with a name brand unit, but everyone please just help me answer the question about this one.Please help, I am a beginner at this stuff.
Old December 28th, 2007, 9:01 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Please Help!!!

You can do it but you have to buy a few adapters to make everything work right. If you have the LT1, I assume you have the rear audio/AC controls in the console and steering wheel controls.

You will need to get a Double Din Dash kit, a antenna adapter for the FM/AM radio on the aftermarket unit, a GM LAN bus NON BOSE intergation adapter, and a steering wheel control interface. By using these adapters, you can remove everything and put the factory stuff back in if you trade it in and keeps you from having to cut up your factory wiring. There are many people who installed aftermarket NAV units by kenwood and pioneer on this forum. Just do a search on here and im sure you can make the Nav unit you want work. Just use the same adapters they used.

With the GM LAN bus adapter, it will allow you to keep onstar along with the warning chimes, the blinker "click", "click", "click" sound, rear audio controls. The steering wheel control interface allows you to still use your steering wheel controls with the aftermaket radio of your choice.

There are other ways to rig it up but it requires you to cut up your wiring and its very easy to mess things up. Its also not a very clean install. If you go the aftermarket route, go with the adapters. You will end up paying about 200.00 for everything you need to make it work right, but its worth it.

If you go the Factory route, all you will need is a adapter like PAC OEM-2. From what I hear, its under 50.00, and a small four channel amp. There is a great write tup on it on the forum using a Blaupunkt amp. Just search for installing nav on a LS.

I was going to go aftermarket myself, but I went factory because most theives are not going to jack with a Factory stereo. But every time I had a aftermarket stereo in a car, no matter how cheap the unit is, the car has been broken into. Also, by the time I added up the cost of adapters, and the unit that I was looking into, the price exceded the OEM unit.

What ever route you go, I hope it works out for you.