Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Potential Grounding Issue?

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2020, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Grounding Issue?

2007 Suburban LTZ.

I've had a series of peculiar electrical issues of late;
1) backup camera is "black",
2) clock on radio was off but radio worked fine, then it started working but wont keep time until you push that area of the screen it will update time
3) rear compressor for air ride only works if you jump relay under hood - changed controller under car, new shocks, new compressor - works fine manually but no auto adjust (I started another thread on this last year and it still doesn't work)
4) complete bank 1 ignition coils stopped working - traced issue to no ground at connector between coil packs. Although I suspected a bad ground on the level control module, I haven't check that yet. Wondering if I have a bad ground bock or broken ground wire somewhere. Cleaned and verified upper engine bay ground when fixing coil packs, but may be another location that I am unaware of...
Old April 3rd, 2020, 8:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

if you think you have bad grounds...provide the part in question grd for testing purposes...run jumper wire from the neg bat terminal.
Old April 5th, 2020, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Other recent issue is that the reverse lights also don't work, yet the reverse in the trailer plug works fine.....
Also, the license plate lights are out.
Old April 5th, 2020, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

for the reverse lights
remove the lens and inspect the bulbs; if the bulb is ok...check for battery voltage at the bulb socket
Old April 6th, 2020, 6:31 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, sorry - should have added that.....the bulbs are fine, no power at the socket and the ground seems fine.

All other lights in the rear work except the tag lights.

And the reverse lights work on the trailer plug (verified with 7-way tester).

Thanks so much for your help!
Old April 6th, 2020, 8:32 AM
Super Moderator

do you have power at the vehicle bu fuse? does the bu relay energize/click when uk shift to reverse.
Old April 7th, 2020, 7:39 AM
CF Beginner

I will check that out - didn't think the trailer plug and rear truck would be fed off of different relay - god point. I will dig into that today perhaps - thanks again for the pointer......

I really do think that I have a series of "related" issues with all this stuff seeming to go wrong - I cannot imagine multiple electrical failures on various sub systems - makes me think of a bad loom junction or something. I had a siilar issue in my 06 Jetta where the factory extended a wire inside a loom (not straight run) and the connection rotted out. Turned out to be a pretty common failure point - was hoping to find a similar "trend' on the truck and fix multiple issues at once ;-) Will check relay and fuse.....
Old April 7th, 2020, 8:50 AM
Super Moderator

if they have a common issue...tracing the one problem will locate the common fault. pull up a power distribution diagram and see what's shared.
radio is body wiring
air compressor is chassis wiring
coils are engine harness
Where do you want to start?