Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Suburban stabilitrak and engine knock

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2018, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Suburban stabilitrak and engine knock

I have a 2008 Suburban that has 250k miles on it. It has been maintained on a schedule and taken very good care of. It has been slowly developing more and more problems that seem to be electronically related. It has had a tune up and spark plugs replaced recently (2 months ago). One thing i know that is due for service is the fuel filter.

First issue is the stabilitrak. All the lights and warnings for ABS and stabilitrak are on the dash and it has been like this for quite some time. I haven't done much digging into this issue and done know where to start. Tire pressure monitors are all showing pressures on the dash so i'm not sure if they are at fault.

Second issue is engine knocking or tapping. I have a little more info on this one. At first i thought this might be a mechanical issue due to it's miles, but after replacing the spark plugs the tapping is intermittent at start up and then continuous. I have cleaned off the MAF sensor with no results. Else where online another topic was posted about the same issues and the fix was to replace the ECU with a VIN programmed code. The ECU was on Amazon but is currently unavailable.
 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074VGP51R/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_wqReBbPQEZZGX https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074VGP51R/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_wqReBbPQEZZGX

If you need any other information let me know. My goal is to avoid the dealership unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you in advance boys.
Old June 15th, 2018, 7:44 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stabilitrak could be a lot of different stuff i think. Do you have the autoride system? Could be a bad compressor or shock causing it. Have a drink before you look up the price of replacement parts there. If you going to replace anything with autoride, check Arnott Industries, as they do a lot of refurb stuff, but offer lifetime warranties. As for the tapping, I can't really help you there, as I don't know what it sounds like. Even if I did, I probably could not offer any advice. To me, a knock or a tap is more related to a mechanical issue than anything electrical. I suppose electrical could cause some rough running, and maybe that is what you are hearing, but I do not know.
Old June 17th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would advise checking the compression on each cylinder to make sure its not a failed AFM lifter.