Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Removed the driveshaft and now it spins

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2012, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed the driveshaft and now it spins

I have an issue getting my suburban to get into gear and I thought it was the transfer case. In the process of removing the transfer case, I removed the driveshaft. Out of curiosity I turned on the engine and engaged to reverse and to my surprise I can see the internal shaft in the transfer case spinning. Could the rear drivetrain preventing my suburban from moving? I put the it on neutral and remove the brakes and jacked up the rear tires and it doesn't spin freely. Is my rear-end stuck? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
ro
Old March 2nd, 2012, 8:54 PM
CF Junior Member

with drive shaft disconnected from rear diff yoke, can you put a pair of plyers or a pipe wrench and turn the yoke by hand? If not you have a siezed pinion bearing at the least. If yoke can be spun it is in the xfer case. My bet with 10 bolts in these trucks is a pinion bearing. Pull the fill plug and see if any gear oil runs out. if not you have your answer. Look for a new/used rear with same gearing.
Old March 6th, 2012, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

I opened the differential cover (14 bolts) and it looks to have enough oil in it. I have the brakes off and the truck on neutral. How much force do i need to turn the wheels?
Old March 6th, 2012, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

If you have the wheels lifted off the ground you should be able to turn the pinion gear by hand providing the parking brake is released. It does not take much effort to turn the pinion gear.