Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Replacing In-Tank Fuel Pump with External (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/replacing-tank-fuel-pump-external-32287/)

TPM April 19th, 2010 2:36 PM

Replacing In-Tank Fuel Pump with External

I thought I saw a write up on how to switch from the in-tank fuel pump to an external pump. Anyone know how to find that info?

Any one know of a product or kit to use in place of the in-tank pump.

On my 3rd one and not happy to do it again.

Thumper_ehhhhh April 19th, 2010 3:45 PM

I dont have any instructions but if you have to put one in the tank. I would sudjest getting the proper one from the gm dealer not a aftermarket one. This is one of the only parts i would buy from the dealer.

LARIDERS April 19th, 2010 3:57 PM

same thing get a ac delco and you should be fine. I have found after market ones dont last long. you could use a inline marine fuel pump.

TPM April 19th, 2010 5:03 PM

Thanks

I did get an AC Delco - the first time, second time and 3rd time. All lasted about 80-90,000 mile.

LARIDERS April 19th, 2010 11:36 PM

That sucks, but it seems that on the 96 - 99 thats about all you get out of them. most of them I have replaced and seen replaced was in the miles. not sure why on the 350 and 454 for those years. the 5.3L seem to last longer.

Thumper_ehhhhh April 20th, 2010 8:18 AM

DId you make sure to replace the sock mesh filter on it too? It's weird that you had to replace so many delcos.

6in tahoe April 23rd, 2010 6:29 PM

Reasons behind having to replace theses pumps is the same reason y the 89-96 f150 had some many problems. the pump in the tank is lubricated by the fuel in the tank when the tank is run below a 1/4 then the pump is lubricated or cooled properly causing the pump to heat up. over time this can cause premature failure.

TPM May 3rd, 2010 1:15 AM

Noticed the Pump sits high

In my BMW the in-tank pump sits in a sump and it seems to keep the pump covered with fuel even when the guage reads almost empty.

The pump in the Suburban seems to sit high- at least 6 inches to the top of the pump up from the bottom, has no sump and only has a baffle in front of it and at one side. I would agree that after 1/4 tank the pump is getting prematurely exposed.

Since I run 500 + mile trips and avoid fueling up until I get to the end because of the higher prices along the interstate, I am routinely running 100- 150 miles at least with less than 1/4 tank.

What is the sense of having 40 galons if you can only use 30 before you need to fuel up or run the risk of taking life off the pump.

I know I read a write up on how to convert to an external pump and there was a product name that had a kit for the whole conversion. When I find it I'll share it here.

atis May 3rd, 2010 2:01 PM

I am with you...I replaced my Fuel pump (had the dealership replace it with a Delco) 15 months agao (9,500 miles ago) and mine is already acting stupid. I am tarting to think this is going to be my last GM product. The Hoe has given me more problems then any other vehicle I have ever owned...even my 89 Jag had less problems!

wabwab July 4th, 2010 10:34 PM

8 months of running on empty wiped out my dealer installed AC Delco. I'm not happy and I'm considering whether to cut a hole in the floor or go with an inline pump.

If I go with the inline, do I need to take the existing dead one out of the tank?