Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Roof rack (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/roof-rack-1228/)

Faceman April 22nd, 2006 5:00 PM

Roof rack

Has anyone pulled the roof rack off of a Chev SUV and if so, is it a big deal? I read somewhere that it's worth 5 percent on the gas mileage. Talked to the dealer service manager and he said that it's possible but it's a mess. I think that he just didn't want to be bothered. My Tahoe is an 04 Z71.

Nomad76lj April 22nd, 2006 5:32 PM

RE: Roof rack

i was thinking about doing the same thing to my 99 blazer all you have to do is unbolt it but im not sure what u would do to block thew holes maby just put the bolts back with as bit of silicone on them to stop them from leaking.

Faceman April 22nd, 2006 7:30 PM

The problem I ran into is getting the plastic cover off of the attach points. After I got the screws out, it would slide around a little but won't pop off. I pried around a little with a screwdriver but I hate to crack it or something. Think I'll just leave it alone.

Nomad76lj April 22nd, 2006 9:07 PM

if it stopes raining here im going to go try and see what i can do with mine and i will post and let u know how it goes.

viperjuice April 23rd, 2006 2:17 AM

udde first off, roof rack won't save on gas, the cross bars will.. so just take those off.. there's holes drilled in the roof and special crush nuts installed, might leak after and will look ugly

EscalonJon August 8th, 2006 2:01 AM

I removed a rack from a '94 Suburban years ago. Had to drop the headliner, weld up the holes, and refinish the complete roof to get a sweet job. I don't know that is affected the mileage at all, but it looked real good. Viper is right, there are special attachment screws/plates that need to come out and leave big ole holes to content with. It's not a job for anyone who hasn't done some body work. (If it's not lowered much, you don't see much of the roof, though.)

freyguy August 9th, 2006 1:20 PM

I've taken off the cross bars on mine so far. To take it all the way off, you just have to remove all the bolts from the top, seal them with silicone, then put some molding over the holes. Put a whole line of it on and it will blend right in. You may have to remove some of the molding above the bolt holes. Just a big drill bit about 1/8" in. A guy on cardomain did it. It's project LabHauler. Looks pretty badass. So far I'm happy without the crossbars though.

pmason@chartermi.net August 11th, 2010 8:09 AM

how do you remove the crossbar stops in the rails?

73shark August 11th, 2010 12:04 PM

What year and model?

kwawrew December 26th, 2010 4:17 PM

I have the same question as CF Beginner. How do you remove the crossbars of the roof rack. My vehicle is a 2010 Tahoe LTZ. It isn't evident how these come off. I have removed them on another SUV that I have and it reduces noise as well as improves mileage slightly.