Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Rust on Z71 bumper (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/rust-z71-bumper-8773/)

horstmeister July 31st, 2007 7:26 PM

Rust on Z71 bumper

I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71. The rear bumper is facory painted. The bumper is covered with rust bulges. This is in the midwest where rust is really not much of a problem.

Has anyone else expierenced this problem?

While the Tahoe was in warranty the dealer said the rust was normal. But now 2 years later it really looks bad.

Horstmeister

HailChaser November 29th, 2007 5:43 PM

RE: Rust on Z71 bumper

Hey there --

I was just wondering if you were able to get GM to fix this problem?

Tim O

73shark November 29th, 2007 11:02 PM

Welcome to the forum. Did you buy it new? If there has been no repairs to the painted bumper, then I don't see how it can be considered normal.

HailChaser November 30th, 2007 6:51 AM

I did buy the Tahoe new in 2/04. I have 55k on it, so it's out of the 36-36 warranty. I took it to a dealer and they said they've seen it a few times and the only thing they can do is GM will replace the bumper, but I have to pay to have it painted and the labor to install. When I asked if I could just have the bumper, and I'd take it to "MY" shop and have it painted, they said no. When I asked for the GM rep's name and phone number, they refused to give it to me.

T

73shark November 30th, 2007 8:14 PM

Try 800.222.1020. Sometimes you can get results from them. Good luck.

FYI: There's no reason they can't give you the bumper as long as you give them the old one.

niche December 3rd, 2007 2:07 AM

Just paint problems with mine.

mjdupre April 1st, 2008 2:12 PM

I have the same problem with my '03 Z71.

The dealer, Bill Kay Chevrolet in Lisle Illinois, "fixed" the problem back in October of '06 by having a local body shop slap some paint over the runst. No big suprise that it came back. When I returned it they said that there was nothing that they could do. I contacted the body shop and they said that they don't warranty that type of work, and that they tell the dealers that up front.

I contacted GM customer service where I spoke to a very helpful agent, who actually sounded sympathetic.
I ws actually hopefull that this would be resolved.

I was contacted today by Chris Wood today with the final GM decession.....
They would be doing nothing for me ! [:@]

So even though the dealer took corrective action, and possibley made the problem worse,
they won't stand behind it.

Feel free to call Chris at (866) 790-5600 x12170, be sure to give him my best.

My previous Chevy was a 74 Monte Carlo (a great car but what a rust bucket!)
My LAST Chevy is a 2003 Tahoe !

redliveryellowliver September 24th, 2010 7:57 PM

I know this is an old thread (2007, it looks like?) but had to add that I have a HORRIBLE problem with rust bubbling through from underneath on our Z71. AND it's become a game with my husband and I to point out other white Z71s with the same bumper issue (there are a LOT of them by us, only ever painted white).

I called the Chevy service center at the sales center where we bought it, and he explained that the bubbled up rust and paint was due to a ROCK hitting it. I wish I had a picture because almost the entire bumper is BROWN with rust. Must've been a big rock! :/

Oh, but he told me they could repaint it for me... at normal charge.

73shark September 24th, 2010 10:09 PM

Welcome to the forum.

More likely due to poor metal prep when it was originally painted. Or it's been repainted due to collision damage.

in2pro September 25th, 2010 10:13 AM

I suspect it was a manufacturing defect if you are seeing it on other vehicles on the same areas.... GM had problems with the white paint chipping and peeling on the early 90's vehicles thou I have heard various stories as to the cause....