Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Steering wheel does not lock (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/steering-wheel-does-not-lock-21826/)

LTZing April 11th, 2009 11:10 PM

Steering wheel does not lock

I have a 2008 Tahoe LTZ and the steering wheel does not lock with the ignition off. I used to have a 1995 Tahoe and the steering wheel locked when you turned the wheel all the way to the right or left and turned the key off. Is this not a feature of the newer vehicles or is my vehicle having issues? Thanks. Mike :cool:

jimweis April 12th, 2009 8:36 AM

Originally Posted by LTZing (Post 91482)
I have a 2008 Tahoe LTZ and the steering wheel does not lock with the ignition off. I used to have a 1995 Tahoe and the steering wheel locked when you turned the wheel all the way to the right or left and turned the key off. Is this not a feature of the newer vehicles or is my vehicle having issues? Thanks. Mike :cool:

They don't do that anymore.

LTZing April 12th, 2009 11:24 AM

Oh, thanks. I was wondering if there was a defect. Any idea why they don't? Just curious. Mike

73shark April 12th, 2009 4:52 PM

Don't know if this is the reason but I always wondered if they had some plastic tooth failures which allowed the locking pin to engage and lock the steering while the vehicle was moving. Plus it wasn't much of a theft deterrent anyway.

weewun April 13th, 2009 9:42 AM

Makes it easier to tow behind the MotorHome, you no longer have to leave the key in ACC position.

Our 2007 Camry with Push Button Start doesn't lock the Steering Wheel and I doubt that any of the Keyless Start models lock the SW.

in2pro April 13th, 2009 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 91544)
Plus it wasn't much of a theft deterrent anyway.

which probably translates into a cost savings for GM by omitting the feature.

LTZing April 13th, 2009 7:47 PM

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 91616)
which probably translates into a cost savings for GM by omitting the feature.

Now THAT's probably the real reason. Good answer. And we know GM needs all the cost savings they can get right now. As for the locking steering, I figured it would keep the honest people honest, kind of like an alarm system. If anyone really wants it, they will get it. This is just for the low level criminals who would move on if it really took some work. :D

jimweis April 14th, 2009 6:53 PM

Originally Posted by LTZing (Post 91500)
Oh, thanks. I was wondering if there was a defect. Any idea why they don't? Just curious. Mike

My previous vehicle was a 2002 S10 Crew Cab. When I converted it to floor shift I found out mid year 2002 they stoped locking the column on S-10's, mine locked the column I purchased didn't.

EvansBlue April 14th, 2009 11:22 PM

Hmm. I never knew that.
Its weird because my mother's 05 Envoy definately has a locking steering wheel.