Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban 07 or Escalade esv 07 ???

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2016, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suburban 07 or Escalade esv 07 ???

We are looking for an Suburban or an Escalade esv from 2007/2008

objectively (if posssible ^^), suburban is better than the escalade?

avantage? handicap?

something to keep under surveillance and to watch precisely before to buy it?

The following users liked this post:
Old Car Guy (September 5th, 2022)
Old January 1st, 2016, 5:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd go with the Escalade for one simple reason - the engine. The 6.2 has no AFM.
The Suburban, at least in the half-ton version, has AFM.

Or, you can go with a 2500 Suburban which has the rock-solid 6.0. I'm approaching 150k miles on my '08, and it hasn't spent a day in a repair shop other than routine maintenance in the almost three years I've owned it. It's also a 3LT, so it has pretty much all the options of an Escalade, except a heated steering wheel.

The Escalade is going to have AWD (full time 4wd), and will not have a two-speed transfer case, if that matters to you.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 1:33 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for me the most important is not the "full options" but the cargo space AND the reliability. So, for you, about that, suburban is better.

What about the suburban 05? good engine too?
(because finally it should be better for the seats (cargo splace))
Old January 2nd, 2016, 7:48 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fury
thanks for me the most important is not the "full options" but the cargo space AND the reliability. So, for you, about that, suburban is better.

What about the suburban 05? good engine too?
(because finally it should be better for the seats (cargo splace))
Cargo space - they're all equal. They're the same body.

Reliability (just my humble/honest opinion)

Best - Suburban 2500
Better - Escalade ESV
Good - Suburban 1500

I say that in the context of buying a used car, not driving a new one off the showroom floor. I also put the half-ton Burb last because of the 5.3 with AFM. Once that engine gets up to 80k, 100k, you start running into potential lifter issues.

A 2005 Suburban? A great vehicle. Better, IMHO, than the '07-'08 half tons, again because the '05 has the older/more reliable 5.3 with no AFM. I sold my '01 to a friend, and it's up to 220k with the original engine and transmission (and it saw a LOT of heavy towing). I believe the '00-'06 5.3 engines were some of the best ever made by GM. Even more irritating, because they had to mess up a good thing by adding AFM starting in '07.

Now granted, the newer body style trucks have a lot of useful features not available on the '06 and older trucks - backup camera, remote start, power tailgate, etc.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

ok so for our use, no need of full options but space and reluability so more a 05 than a 07. Thanks a lot I will search for an 05 with low miles... Not easy ^^