Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Tahoe and E85 fuel (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/tahoe-e85-fuel-5231/)

Wags February 4th, 2007 6:21 PM

Tahoe and E85 fuel

I just bought a 2001 Tahoe LT 4wdwith 76,000 miles. Very nice, has 22" rims, which are a bit too much for my liking so they coming off (I'll post some pics of truck before that). My only question is it is not one of the flex fuel Tahoe's. I'd be interested in knowing what is needed to convert it for future E85use. I am told that mainly the rubber fuel lines are needing replacing, but not 100% sure.

doo600 February 4th, 2007 6:39 PM

RE: Tahoe and E85 fuel

I'm no expert but I'm guessing this is really not worth it. The E85 vehicle must be run for a short time for the computer to aquire the proper settings. Because of this I would imagine it would need a new computer E85 capable.

73shark February 5th, 2007 1:52 AM

Pretty much all of your gaskets & seals in the fuel delivery system and some metal parts that aren't protected. Alcohol is a mild acid and therefore will attack metal.

engine2 February 5th, 2007 2:56 AM

I am curious myself. I have a feeling it would cost more than we would guess.

Wags February 5th, 2007 1:47 PM

I am going to check with a dealer. I'll get back.

Stingray February 6th, 2007 6:11 PM

ORIGINAL: 73shark

Pretty much all of your gaskets & seals in the fuel delivery system and some metal parts that aren't protected. Alcohol is a mild acid and therefore will attack metal.
Shark is abosolutely correct. Takes a complete overhaul of the fuel system. From what I've read even the injectors are different. Not worth the effort IMHO.

shnormo February 13th, 2007 3:50 PM

The injectors are the same. I have a flex fuel S10 The 2001 2.2L. It is a whole different ball game when it comes to the fuel dilevery. The fuel filter for the regular S10 is $8 at Wal-Mart. The cheapest I can get the flex fuel filter is for $55. The dealership wants $85 for it. Alchol is not acidic buddy. It is hydroscopic, which means it absorbs water. That water gets into your fuel system and it rusts out the lines. Flex fuel vehicles have every thing pretty much coated with some sort of epoxy to prevent the corrosion. It really isn't worth it. You actually lose power using E85 because it doesn't have the same potential chemical energy as straight up gasoline. And no octane does not make your car go faster. It just reduces detonation because it has higher hydrocarbon levels.

ZX1100F1 February 13th, 2007 5:38 PM

You actually gain a small amount of power running E85 in your Tahoe but MPG is reduced.

shnormo February 13th, 2007 5:41 PM

I would have to disagree. How do you get more power out of a non flex fuel engine using alchol that has less chemical energy than pure gasoline. In order to get more power out of E85, you have to dump more of that into your combustion chamber to get the same chemical energy, and you can't dump more fuel in unless you have more air to keep the air to fuel ratio going.

Hardin Thicke February 13th, 2007 6:37 PM

ORIGINAL: shnormo

I would have to disagree. How do you get more power out of a non flex fuel engine using alchol that has less chemical energy than pure gasoline. In order to get more power out of E85, you have to dump more of that into your combustion chamber to get the same chemical energy, and you can't dump more fuel in unless you have more air to keep the air to fuel ratio going.
You're looking at it from a pure BTU standpoint. Pure Ethanol has an octane rating of approx. 105 but does indeed contain less energy than gasoline. But although E85 contains only 72% of the energy on a gallon-for-gallon basis compared to gasoline, users of it have seen a consistantly although slightlybetter fuel mileage while using it. Why? Perhaps it's an engine timing issue.Thefive-threeis capable of adjustingitsoperating parameters according to the fuel being used, adjusting the timing and injection events.I do know that the increased mileage is a documented fact.

The combustion of E85 produces quantities of formic acid that will destroy any parts exposed to the combustion process, and that includes parts which are oiled, so it's pretty much the entire engine. The hygroscopic nature of ethanol is only part of the problem. Ethanol is a corrosive to aluminum, magnesium, and attacks certain rubber and elastomeric parts. I don't think rusting is an issue. I haven't seen steel fuel lines used for a long time and fuel tanks are mostly made of plastic nowadays. Oh...and Ethanol is a conductor not a dielectric like gasoline so care must be taken with electrical parts that come in direct contact with the fuel such as fuel pumps.