Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Tahoe required maintenance... What's really needed, what's not.. (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/tahoe-required-maintenance-whats-really-needed-whats-not-10851/)

guvner November 5th, 2007 7:10 PM

Tahoe required maintenance... What's really needed, what's not..

To hear the dealer talk about my 2007 TahoeI need the transmission oil changed every 30,000 which is agreeable except the price I'm getting here in St. Louis area is $179 - $295 and they are saying the 4 wheel drive portionshould be service every 30,000 miles whether I'musing itor not for another $295.

What's really necessary and good maintance. I have a mechanic friend that works at a private shop and if his receipts are good enough to satisfy the warranty people I'd just as soon use him. Anyone know what the extended warranty people expect at GM?He's always been dead on for every problem I've ever had on my 2000 Tahoe. And I didn't do the transfer case for the 4 wheel drive till 100,000 miles.

I could easily see spending in excess of $2000 for just maintenance on this vehicle every year if I did every single thing recommended in the owners manual. Seems something this expensive shouldn't need quite as much money per year just to stay running.

Thanks..

Gary

SNO November 5th, 2007 8:24 PM

RE: Tahoe required maintenance... What's really needed, what's not..

Something seems odd.

For "severe duty", my owner's manual says to change the transmission & transfer case fluids every 50,000 miles (not 30,000). For "normal duty", no change is required until 100,000 miles.

73shark November 5th, 2007 11:49 PM

Dated receipts with mileage when service was performed should suffice. I didn't check my manual but shouldn't have to do any more often than recommended.

guvner November 6th, 2007 12:37 AM

I guess it was the fact that on my last visit the service writer wrote down, "declined scheduled maintenace" for transmission that made me very convinced it was at 30,000 miles. I sure couldn't find anything about 30,000 miles in my owners manual. In fact as you said it was only for rough service that it suggested 50,000 miles. I guess I'll have an interesting talk tomorrow when I cancel my appearance Thursday.

Thanks for the input... Gary

engine2 November 6th, 2007 10:42 AM

Just follow whats in your owners manual. Service departments are notorious for recommending more than usual intervals to increase their $$$$ income. The only thing I do more often than the manual recommends is oil change every 5K miles.