Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Tailgate opening by itself??? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/tailgate-opening-itself-4782/)

DEI January 13th, 2007 10:49 PM

Tailgate opening by itself???

Has anyone had any trouble with the power tailgate opening by itself? While I was parked outside waiting for my wife tonight, the tailgate opened by itself three times in a five minute period. I'd close it from inside then it would open again. I finally turned off the switch for it on the headliner and it stayed closed. I checked the remote to see if the button was stuck down but it wasn't. We only have 350 miles on it and love it....hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

doo600 January 14th, 2007 12:51 AM

RE: Tailgate opening by itself???

Yes!!! Amen, someone feels my pain. Below is a link to my original thread. Here's the current status.

I took it in and they found a code. Pulled up the code and it said "Don't repair, GM is researching the problem".Delaer said he would call me in a couple days. I got a phone call yesterday and he told me GM still did not know what it was but he ordered a few parts for me. They had already replaced the tailgate small black switch which didn't help. I asked what parts and he said they are replacing the rear handle and the liftgate module. He is sure that will fix the problem. The parts should be in by mid next week so I'm expecting the end of next week to have it repaired. He said he would have to keep it for a day.

Here's my symptoms. The tailgate would just open or close whenever it wanted. Usually 1 or 2 times a day. It has never done this when the vehicle was locked. The tailgate also tried to eat me once while I was loading it at Home Depot. I pulled into the garage once and put the truck in park and it opened that way once too. Outside the rear tailgate switch you use when trying to open works intermitently. Same with the small black switch on the underside of the tailgate. The interior switch and the remote have always worked fine.

Here is a link to my original thread.

https://chevroletforum.com/m_16373/tm.htm

There is a Technical Service Bulletin from GM regarding this problem. The code generated is B2495

SERVICE BULLETIN:3853 NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:10019223 [/b]
MFG Bulletin Date: 19010101
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
Bulletin Summary: POWER LIFTGATE INOPERATIVE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE B2495. *AK

DEI January 14th, 2007 1:37 AM

Thank You! I thought I might be going crazy....didn't think anyone at the dealership would ever believe this one. The day we picked it up the close button on the rear gate wouldn't work. The salesman was going to have it looked at the next week when I came back in. Of course by then it was working fine and I did read in the book it might not work right in cold weather so I never had it looked at. I have noticed that the switch to open the gate on the back is very sensitive. How about yours? We had another '07 out for a test drive and that one seemed like you really had to squeeze it to get it to work.

The last time it opened I got out and closed it by hand....the guy parked behind me said he thought he saw the brake light blink right before it opened up?? I even found it open the other morning in the garage.The dome light was still on so I figured it must have just happened. My wife said she didn't open it, so we both were confused until I saw it happen for myself tonight.

It's going in on Wednesday to have a small scratch buffed out...guess I'll call on Monday and see if they have time for this too! Thanks Again!

engine2 January 14th, 2007 4:09 AM

Thats some freaky S#^t. Has it even done this while driving?

doo600 January 14th, 2007 10:21 AM

No it won't happen when driving because the vehicle locks itself when you put it in gear. My rear switch is not overly sensitive but it makes me think that it may be in the rear switch. That's where I've always believed it to be. I have found mine open in the garage many times. Luckily it was pulled forward enough that the tailgate never hit the garage door. Right now I park and leave lots of room.

Stay tuned, let's hope these new parts rectify the problem. Either way I think GM is now familiar with this problem. GM was talking with my dealer tech and they knew they had some inoperative tailgates but mine was the first they had heard of where the gate was opening on it's own. They are now familiar with this issue.

engine2 January 14th, 2007 4:57 PM

I would hate to find my tailgate open in the morning after a heavy rain storm if I parked outside. Keep us posted on the fix

DEI January 15th, 2007 5:47 PM

Latest Update:

I stopped by the dealership today & the service manager did a check on it. Came back with Trouble Code B2494. Sounds like an electrical / grounding problem with the rear touch pad used to open the lift gate. They are going to investigate more when I bring it in on Wednesday. Guess I'll keep the doors locked until then!

Hatchfinder January 15th, 2007 6:04 PM

Mine did it this weekend. Thought I was going crazy. Did Ihit the switch on the headliner as I was getting out of the vehicle and just forget? Maybe my hoe has esp because I was going to load stuff in the back anyway.

ironcy January 15th, 2007 6:10 PM

this worries me greatly!!!! if my tailgate opens in my garage on its own, who is going to pay the bill to repaint it????
I dont even have my Tahoe yet and this concerns me, hopefully they will find the cause of the issue and will be able to implement the fix before I take delivery.
Im going to take the above TSB in when I pickup the truck...

doo600 January 15th, 2007 6:43 PM

ORIGINAL: DEI

Latest Update:

I stopped by the dealership today & the service manager did a check on it. Came back with Trouble Code B2494. Sounds like an electrical / grounding problem with the rear touch pad used to open the lift gate. They are going to investigate more when I bring it in on Wednesday. Guess I'll keep the doors locked until then!
Keep me posted and I'll post when I find anything new out.