Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tapping Noise in Cowl Area at 60+ mph

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2007, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping Noise in Cowl Area at 60+ mph

Hello all, new forum member here. I just bought my wife an '03 with only 40k on the odometer, and everything is just great EXCEPT for an annoying tapping noise in the windshield/cowl area once it gets over about 60mph. It sounds almost like driving in a hail storm? I have tried to push/pull/prod on everything around the windshield, and everything is tight including the wiper arms. Is this a common issue, and more importantly, is there a DIY fix? Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Tapping Noise in Cowl Area at 60+ mph

Do you have a bug shield on your hood? I had the same issue with my 04 Silverado and there was a TSB out for that. Something to do with the shield and the air flowing over it. They ended up replacing the window molding...and that only helped.
Old November 12th, 2007, 5:56 PM
e
CF Senior Member

we've seen this problem before with bugshields as well on the 99-05 gmt's. We have 3m taped the window molding that runs from the roofline to the wiper cowl on the driver and passenger side. The molding pulls away from the windshield enough to allow the tape to affix to the windshield and molding without being seen. It seems to work well. Also its only been a few applications that we've had to do this too. It sounds like rocks hitting the top of the window.
Old November 12th, 2007, 6:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Had a similar problem it turned out , of all things to be leaves that have fallen down into the open cowl area. Whenthey dryand driving at 50 mph or higher I can hear this crackle snapping noise from the front of the windshield. Turned out to be dried out leaves from my Maple tree.