Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New to forum with a question

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2015, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum with a question

Hello and thanks for the add. I recently purchased a 2008 Suburban Ltz with 131,000 miles on it. I plan on changing the transmission and transfer case fluids soon and also switching to a synthetic engine oil. Can someone tell me if it's worth the extra expense to go with the synthetic. Thanks,Randy
Old July 5th, 2015, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

I had issues with several of my older vehicles and switched to synthetics and have sworn by them ever since. I use Amsoil but there are many quality synthetic out there. I now use synthetics in all my motorized vehicles for all applications.I was informed by a top ranked diesel shop that with diesels be sure you use an engine oil specifically designed for use in diesel engines as it can cause engine damage down the road.
Old July 5th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Schoolcop: Welcome to the forum.

TMcWeed: I agree on diesel oil. My MB Sprinter RV specifies Mobil 1 ESP among others and it runs about$8 to $10 a quart.
Old July 5th, 2015, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Schoolcop: Welcome to the forum.

TMcWeed: I agree on diesel oil. My MB Sprinter RV specifies Mobil 1 ESP among others and it runs about$8 to $10 a quart.
Would you recommend synthetics for the other fluids also.
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:51 AM
CF Active Member

Thumbs up

Schoolcop, a warm welcome to the forum, it's definately worth the switch, synthetic oil has been tested and proven to offer better COLD STARTUP protection as well CONTINIOUS operation in extreme heat. It costs more for better protection, especially over 100k mile vehicle. MOBILE 1 in my vehicles(oil only) transmissions are doing fine w/standard fluid. JMHO.
David g.
Old July 10th, 2015, 7:35 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually run the dexos stuff. Dealer close by does the change with that stuff pretty cheap now, so really no cost savings. I believe any other fluid you will change will already be a synthetic.

I'm not sure how the layout of the burb is vs the hoe, but you may want to save yourself the headache and have the dealer do the trans for you. The diff's and transfer case are EASY by comparison.

Also be sure what fluid you need for the transfer case. Some of the newer vehicles use dex vi in them I think, but my '07 uses the auto trac stuff. Your '08 may use it as well. If it does, save yourself the hassle of looking for it, you have to get it at the dealer.

But double check your owners manual so you know what to put back in.
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:50 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and yes it is. Most people hear a difference, it's quieter. Noise is energy and heat.