Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Towing Tips for Tahoe Limited

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2010, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Not much of a reason to put load range E tire on a Tahoe, You could never load it enough to need them.
a true statement, but it does happen. i run bfg all terrains on my tahoe cause i personally think the tires can't be beat. it happens that they are load range E. just the way it worked out. no, don't need it, but it does happen.
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could see on a 4 wheel drive but the Tahoe Limited is 2WD
Old April 18th, 2010, 7:20 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by atis
thanks, I am trying to remember back to autoshop class 20 yrs ago and I seem to remember that my instructed said an under inflated tire is worse then an over inflated tire as you cause more resistance with the road and increase the heat on the tire if its under-inflated. I will check the side of the tire and go from there.
Not familiar w/ the 2000s but newer ones have a Tow/Haul mode switch in the end of the shift lever which changes the shift program.
Old April 18th, 2010, 7:54 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Not familiar w/ the 2000s but newer ones have a Tow/Haul mode switch in the end of the shift lever which changes the shift program.
2000 Limited does not. The Limited is actually the old body style (GMT 700 ?) with the 5.7 and 2wd only. It only came in black, it has a ground effect kit arpund the bottom, the front bumper had square fog lights in it and the interior was two tone light gray and dark gray leather. It also had some mecanical upgrades also.

When the GMT800-based SUVs were released in 2000, a 2WD Tahoe Limited was produced for demand purposes. The Tahoe Limited offered several features, along with items borrowed from other GM SUVs. First and foremost, was the Z56 "Police Package" suspension/performance package first shown to the public at the 1996 Detroit Auto Show. Prototypes were made in green and blue, but production was limited to one color only - Black Onyx Metallic. The Limited had no roof rack, but was a standout in that it came factory equipped with a distinctive ground effects body kit, along front and rear fascias. Heavy-duty ABS brakes were borrowed from the Chevrolet Suburban. Bilstein 46mm shocks, front and rear anti-sway bars (borrowed from the Z71 Tahoe 4x4), a 4-speed 60LE transmission (with transmission cooler), a 3:42 rear gear ratio, limited slip differential and an oil cooler rounded out the performance features standard on the 2000 Tahoe Limited.

The two-tone leather interior (borrowed from the GMC Denali), a 120 mph (190 km/h) gauge cluster (borrowed from the Cadillac Escalade), an all black grille, Pilot fog lights set in the front bumper and an L31 5.7L Vortec V8 (tweaked to achieve 130+ mph) were among the standard features in the Tahoe Limited. The body sat 2" lower than normally aspired Tahoe's, and the Tahoe Limited is only GM production vehicle to have the special 16"x7" Ronal R36, 5-spoke, aluminum rims wrapped in 225/70R16 tires.

The Chevrolet Tahoe Limited Edition was offered for one year only - the 2000 model year, yet it was based on the first generation model platform. According to research, there were 8,905 units produced[citation needed]. The original design of the Tahoe Limited was conceived by Jon Moss and badged as the "Tahoe SS" (concept introduced by GM on November 7, 1996). However, it is reported that GM disliked the idea of an "SS" at a time when insurance companies were already demanding higher premiums for SUVs.[citation needed]

A Tahoe Sport was also produced that had a monochromatic paint scheme, distinctive front bumper, but different wheels. It is largely believe to be a Z71 model, but most do not possess the Z71 RPO code found in the glovebox
Old April 26th, 2010, 1:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the tips, I am home again. I drove in 3rd....worked like a charm. I did throw a SES... random misfire all cyclinders...that made the drive home a pain (600miles). I will be starting a new thread.