Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Trailer tow mode not working (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/trailer-tow-mode-not-working-42726/)

factorypilot May 24th, 2011 10:24 AM

Trailer tow mode not working

Tried to use the tow mode and light on dash didn't come on. Transmission is going into overdrive, so not the bulb.
Has anyone had a problem with this? I tried checking fuses but may not have tried the right one as they are labled a little difficult to understand.If fused anyone tell me which fuse I should go to?
I don't remember if I used it since I had the tranny filter changed, so I question if it is possible something was disturbed when the pan was off. Would like to eliminate possibilities before going to the shop.
It's an '05 1/2 ton Sub

factorypilot June 9th, 2011 7:46 PM

Finally got around to look at this problem. Took steering column cover off and found a wire from the switch in the shift lever to be broke. The second wire was near breaking also. I soldered a splice to both wires to give a little more length and for now is working.
Wires are in a orange casing if anyone has to pursue this issue.

SabrToothSqrl June 10th, 2011 7:17 AM

yes

thank you for the info

73shark June 10th, 2011 12:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Any indication as to why they broke?

hicksvilleshick June 10th, 2011 6:31 PM

Originally Posted by factorypilot (Post 183483)
Finally got around to look at this problem. Took steering column cover off and found a wire from the switch in the shift lever to be broke. The second wire was near breaking also. I soldered a splice to both wires to give a little more length and for now is working.
Wires are in a orange casing if anyone has to pursue this issue.

awesome, hopefully thats whats wrong with mine...

:chug:

hicksvilleshick June 10th, 2011 10:49 PM

well I tore my dash apart tonight... found 1 wire running to the tow/haul switch (that I could tell) and it seemed to be fine. I've been fighting the cluster bouncing dead over bumps so I was checking the connections on it too... seems I'll have to look for and maybe re-run a new ground for it... 2001 Suburban. A week ago, the whole instrument cluster would - JustAnswer

I'm hoping it's whats also causing it to intermittantly shut down the motor too. :dunno:

but I found out tonight that if I put it in 1st and hit the tow/haul switch it mystically works. This pleases me. I'm just bummed I have to take the dash back apart tomorrow. ugh.

factorypilot June 11th, 2011 8:44 AM

73shark, the wires that run up to the switch in the shift lever are held to the steering column with a retainer and it appears to have pinched the wires at that area. Maybe from the tilt steering over the years acted like a can and weakened the wires to the point of breaking. Since I couldn't get enough slack with what was left I spliced a little better than a inch or so of some wire I had laying around to get length I felt comfortable with. The wire was very small gauge, I hope it holds or a new shift lever will be needed. I suppose I could buy a switch and mount it somewhere on the dash but I don't think that will be very appealing to me.

hicksvilleshick June 11th, 2011 3:27 PM

update: pulled dash back out. got some blue flappy wire splicers and ran a new ground for both the black/white wires (GND) from the plug and now my cluster doesn't seem to doink out, (yet) and my oil pressure gauge is less twitchy. the tow/haul button now works from 2nd gear instead of just 1st, (i'll be real happy when I can get it to work from drive) and my abs and brake light ain't come on yet.

down side, it keeps telling me I'm low on washer fluid, and I know it's not as I topped it off last night. ugh.