Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Transmission fluid aaccidentally put in Oil (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/transmission-fluid-aaccidentally-put-oil-43939/)

in2pro July 15th, 2011 2:02 PM

Transmission fluid aaccidentally put in Oil

So my ex calls me up asking where the charge port for adding Freon to here 1999 4x4 Tahoe is, she ask "is it inside the vehicle or under the hood?"
I politely explain where to look for the port under the hood with the little black cap covering it....say good day hang up...
Couple minutes later the phone rings again, in a half panicked voice she tells me she accidentally put about 1/4 bottle of transmission fluid into the oil fill and ask is that going to hurt anything?! (besides my sides from trying not to laugh out loud at her predicament) Why do they make the bottles look exactly the same she exclaims!!

I tell her it should be okay, but she should consider getting the oil changed at the earliest convenience...

Now to the best of my knowledge a bit of transmission fluid in the oil is not a problem and in the old school days was a common practice of cleaning out sludge from and engine, I don't see how it should be any problem in a modern engine other then it might remotely affect the O2 sensors if anything...

Opinions, thoughts, (about transmission fluid in the oil not my ex-wife) :rolleyes:

AZSCTACO July 15th, 2011 2:36 PM

I'm an old schooler also and I've heard lots of people putting some transmission fluid in to clean deposits and sticky lifters. If she only put that much in, I'd tell her to drive around awhile and get it changed after a few hundred miles.

See if she can check the blinker fluid and make sure there is enough antenna wax on the antenna :)

73shark July 15th, 2011 2:37 PM

Curious how she got from adding freon to adding oil or tranny fluid. :confused:

Tranny fluid works real well at unsticking sticky valve lifters. :) Takes about a quart tho. I wouldn't worry about 1/4 of a qt.

in2pro July 15th, 2011 3:21 PM

AZSCTACO LMAO! blinker fluid...I using that one! I wish I had that one a couple of days ago my daughters boyfriend didn't know what the clutch reservoir was for and that would have be a perfect opportunity for the blinker fluid!

Shark
I'm guessing she was under the hood to charge the AC and figured she would be proactive and check fluids as well.....

hicksvilleshick July 15th, 2011 6:41 PM

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 187001)
AZSCTACO LMAO! blinker fluid...I using that one! I wish I had that one a couple of days ago my daughters boyfriend didn't know what the clutch reservoir was for and that would have be a perfect opportunity for the blinker fluid!

Shark
I'm guessing she was under the hood to charge the AC and figured she would be proactive and check fluids as well.....

just let her know that if she doesn't get the oil changed within 1000 miles it will cause her muffler bearings to wear out and need replaced.

that little will be fine.

:chug:

73shark July 15th, 2011 8:48 PM

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 187001)
Shark

Wonder what she put in the A/C? :eek:

kevinkpk July 16th, 2011 2:28 PM

Originally Posted by AZSCTACO (Post 186987)
I'm an old schooler also and I've heard lots of people putting some transmission fluid in to clean deposits and sticky lifters. If she only put that much in, I'd tell her to drive around awhile and get it changed after a few hundred miles.

See if she can check the blinker fluid and make sure there is enough antenna wax on the antenna :)

That would be pouring it into the carb of a fast idle car. The only real problem is it will seperate from whatever she has in it. I'd also suggest just changing oil.

73shark July 17th, 2011 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by kevinkpk (Post 187074)
That would be pouring it into the carb of a fast idle car. The only real problem is it will separate from whatever she has in it. I'd also suggest just changing oil.

You put it in the oil to free up sticky lifters. Eight ounces of tranny fluid will not hurt the engine.

Chuzz July 17th, 2011 8:38 AM

I'm just curious as to whether or not she got the a/c charged. The tranny fluid is no big deal.

SabrToothSqrl July 18th, 2011 9:48 AM

yea?

did she use a left handed screw driver to get the cap off?

perhaps a wood magnet would make getting to the muffler bearings easier...