Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Transmission Problem 99 Tahoe (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/transmission-problem-99-tahoe-771/)

Gregg January 30th, 2006 11:37 AM

Transmission Problem 99 Tahoe

I am hoping that someone out there can lend a little insight to my current problem with my 99 Chevy Tahoe.

Yesterday, I started up the truck and shifted into reverse (AT). I then prceeded to start to back up, and it made it maybe half a foot before I heard a strange thunk, and the engine would just rev . I was parked in some snow, so i thought that I might be stuck so I shifted into drive, and pulled away. Then, I shifted back into reverse, to get out of where i was at, and nothing happens. The thing will not shift into reverse, it just acts like neutral. I can shift into drive and it seems to work, but reverse is missing. In drive it makes a strange, not loud noise, kinda a whirring sound. I am thinking this is a huge mechanical failure of the transmission, but what the hell do i know. Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions on this particular problem?

Dondobe January 31st, 2006 12:10 AM

RE: Transmission Problem 99 Tahoe

Gregg, I hate to bring you bad news, but these transmissions suck ! They are made with bad valves in them. I don't know why GM doesn't correct this problem after all the years of complaints.
I had the same problem and I know several others who have too !!! Most transmission repair shops offer a 2 year warranty.
Good Luck, Dondobe

Gregg January 31st, 2006 1:06 PM

Yeah, that is pretty much what I figured. I just would have thought that there would have been some sort of sign of catastrophy before it happened. Oh well, its only money [:@]

bruno March 28th, 2006 12:13 PM

Be real careful who u pick to rebuild the trans. I bought one from Jasper the caseing cracked after 6 months they replaced it and 6 months later it cracked again. Jasper would not honer there warrenty they said there was a bullition from GM on this problem but GM did not know why it was happening. Jasper did not tell me about this until the second trans and now they are charging me 60% for the trans.
My truck is used by my wife and she is a stay at home mom the truck has never been off road and it had 145,000 miles on it when the trans went bad. There was no crack in the trans when it went bad The reverse went just like yours.

viperjuice April 19th, 2006 1:25 AM

dude it's a shell inside that trany that cracks. forget the name of it. I work for a dealership and the guy next to me does them all the time. it's for reverse and 4th i think. It's a big shell and on one end it has a gear in the middle, the shell strips around the gear. Will find out the name of it for ya tomorrow.

viperjuice April 23rd, 2006 2:28 AM

ok yeah, it's called the reaction shell, it'll take out reverse, 2nd and 4th gears

awol251 November 1st, 2007 9:10 AM

I just had the exact same failure happen to my 99 tahoe yesterday. I had it towed to the shop for repair. Any idea what the rebuild "should" cost for the 4L60E?

acierno August 4th, 2015 9:08 AM

Acierno

What to replace in my 98 Tahoe. I only have first and second. It wont go into third and drive. It trys