Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Upgrade from 4l60 to 4l80e? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/upgrade-4l60-4l80e-55324/)

Atlantaburban December 21st, 2012 6:04 PM

Upgrade from 4l60 to 4l80e?

OK, I have searched and found nothing. Maybe not the right search criteria but.

I have a 96 Suburban C1500. Replaced the the motor about 75k ago. Now time for the 3rd transmission. This last one, reman from GM) has lasted longer than any of the previous. 100k miles. But I now have a 4500# boat to pull and driving in third gear is painful on many levels. I am considering upgrading to a 4l80e. So I have two questions.

1. SHould I upgrade to that tranny or is there another any of you would recommend?

2. If the 4l80e is a good choice, what am I going to need to make this happen.

I know I will need a new cross member and TC. ANything else?

And a third question,

** Can I add a tow switch or do I even need to worry about it with the 4l80e?

Thanks.

suburbansteve3 January 2nd, 2013 1:16 AM

too much work and $ rear gears will solve prob

swapping in a 4l80 is a ok idea in theory but a huge wast of time and $ i have a fleet of plow trucks the 4 l 60s are great ssuper cheap and if the rite person builds them well better than a stock 4l80
idk where u live but i can get one built hd and installed for 800-1200 depending on year i have a ploww over 100k on rebuilt and all it does is plow or tow it is never driven as a driver
firs of all what gears are in ur truck look in glove box gu6 or gt4 342 373
if u really want a 4 l 80 go buy a truck w one in it it will save u time and $
if u want contact me i could get u in contact w trans shop i use and have one shipped to u
i go out looking for these trucks w bad trans buy them and have a trans rebuilt just to resell i have had at least 30 done by the same guy and i had one come back cause a bolt came loose trans was still fine just a fluke

Carlmotox216 October 31st, 2016 7:21 AM

Originally Posted by suburbansteve3 (Post 236922)
swapping in a 4l80 is a ok idea in theory but a huge wast of time and $ i have a fleet of plow trucks the 4 l 60s are great ssuper cheap and if the rite person builds them well better than a stock 4l80
idk where u live but i can get one built hd and installed for 800-1200 depending on year i have a ploww over 100k on rebuilt and all it does is plow or tow it is never driven as a driver
firs of all what gears are in ur truck look in glove box gu6 or gt4 342 373
if u really want a 4 l 80 go buy a truck w one in it it will save u time and $
if u want contact me i could get u in contact w trans shop i use and have one shipped to u
i go out looking for these trucks w bad trans buy them and have a trans rebuilt just to resell i have had at least 30 done by the same guy and i had one come back cause a bolt came loose trans was still fine just a fluke

hey man, really interested in that rebuild guy of yours. the 4l60e in my 1500 4x4 now has 125,00 on it. last went 175,000. but am going to upgrade to a mild rv 5.3 so need a good build.